When is best to take ppi drugs for LPR (for sore throat)

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I have today seen an ENT surgeon who has confirmed that i have LPR (silent reflux) which is giving me a sore / burning throat and roof of my mouth.

My gp had me on ppi drugs but they hadn't been doing anything for my symptoms which the surgeon said they probably won't do a great deal for your throat as such which is why you’re probably not seeing much change in your throat problems, he has asked me to still keep taking them as he wants me to try and keep the acid build up down.

I don’t have any other symptoms apart from my throat / mouth issue.

He has asked me to just take gaviscon advance 3 times a day as well as the ppi drugs, the ppi half an hour before i eat and the gaviscon about half an hour after i eat and last thing before bed.

My main question though is when i am best taking my ppi drug, up to now i have always been taking it first thing in the morning, i am starting to think that specifically for my throat issues its probably related to night time, meaning i maybe best taking the ppi before bed to try and limit the reflux at that time?

Can anyone tell me what they think?

James

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hi james,have a look at Betaine hcl, it might be you are low in stomach acid and not digesting food properly as you get older you dont produce enough , tony
  • Posted

Hi James

Try taking at bedtime - I have GORD diagnosed in Jan 12 & take 30g ppi twice a day. I am suffering this week with the sore throat as well, having eaten tomato @ w/end. Have you done a food diary & propped up the bed?

It has taken me a while to find a uk based forum for support.

Chieveley

• Posted

Please, with all due respect for fellow sufferers, enough with not enough acid in the stomach problem. That is a discredited idea -

Tom Lee

allaboutlpr blog

• Posted

Why has that theory been discredited? There is so much about all that all over the web. Why do you think it has been discredited please?
  • Posted

I take my PPI, Lansoprazole 30mg, first thing in the morning and, from the ENT consultant I saw, I understand that this is the optimum time to take it. It is a slow release drug and so will work throughout the day. I've been taking the Lansoprazole and Gaviscon Advance for about two months now and it is only in the last couple of weeks that I have noticed any real difference. It can take time for the reflux to become under control and for heating to begin. I too have LPR and I can sympathise with the burning throat and mouth. Hopefully, things will gradually improve for you too.
  • Posted

Healing to begin, not heating! We have enough of that with the acid, don't we?
  • Posted

Hi James, I have similar symptoms as yours, I have had a burning throat and the palate for about 8 months, Ive tried ppis on and off but no longer than a month or two at a time, I notice no difference at all. I read a posting online that it can take many months to start to heal. Its quite upsetting hard to live with as you know. 

Ive had many scopes by different ENTs and they all pretty much think its reflux, I also have a weird sensation in my throat, not just a lump but it feels like a clicking of some sort. I know its hard to diagnose anything by this thread but do any of you think its silent reflux I have or could it be something else. 

I also have chronic throat clearing as there is always flem in the back of my throat. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.