Perianal Fistula - new pain after operation

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all

I had surgery on Wednesday 29th August this year for a perianal fistula and abscess and was signed off of my work.

On the surgical form the hospital gave me on discharge it said I have had a laying open of a perial fistula and removal/draining of small abscess. The operation went well i went into hospital on the Wednesday Morning and was home by the evening.

Every day i would have the wound packed and dressed, i was told the wound looked clean and was very close (i dont know what was meant by very close but as they said it was looking good and nice and clean i was happy) the nurses were great and although very painful to move or do anything i was up and about (only slightly in a few days), i had the packing and dressing every day.

Unfortunatly on one of the weeks i should have had the packing done I came on my girly monthly (which was quite heavy) i should not have had a monthly as i have not had one for months as i get the depo contraceptive injection. The week that i was on my girly monthly the packing was difficult and didnt really get done..... the nurse i was seeing that week said it was best just to put a bit of gauz in between my bum cheeks and she'd send me on my way.

The following week i had stopped my girly monthly and pain had started in my bum i was quite unconfortable, i was now seeing a different nurse from the week befor who when checked me to see if she could pack the wound said it had healed over and all should be fine. I explained about the week before and the pains that i had now started to get down in that area. The nurse said the opening to the wound was fine and i shouldnt worry and maybe i had been overdoing it which is why i was now getting some pain, she told me to take it easy and i should get back on track.

I was in all honesty feeling much better after a few more days of resting up even though still a little bit painful to walk and sit but i decided to get signed back onto work and returned to work on the 2nd October. The first week back i was very unconfrtable only little pain and only every now and then (if i had sat in the same position for to long or wlked a bit far) i was thinking all was getting better but then last week i had a very painfull bowel movement with lots of blood (it was a fairly loose movement - dont know why the blood) every day since i have had blood comming from the anal passage when i have a movement (im very regular and go every morning whithout fail).

some days the blood is very red blood and then other days its like a watery blood. Im getting worried as i do not wish to take any further time off work but the pain is just now getting to the stage where its making me a bit light headed, im taking paracetemol for the pain but this doesnt seeem to be touching it ..... i know exactly where the pain is comming from, i can feel it, its comming from deep inside the anal passage ..... it hurts to sit, stand and walk around.

Ive had my hospital check up appointment come through for the 7th November.

Does anyone know if the bleeding is normal after surgery for this perianal fistula?? is it just part of the healing process??

also can anyone recomend a realy strong pain killer to get me through the day (not with asprin though as i swell up i think i may be allergic to asprin but not sure)

The other thing is that im due to get married on Saturday the 3rd November and i dont want to be in pain on my wedding day.

should i get a doctors appointment befor hand or will i just be waisting there time seen as how i have the hospital appointment comming up.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, you poor girl, you must go back to your gp and tell him/her that you are in a great deal of pain and distress.

I promise you you will not be wasting their time. They get paid an enormous amount of money to treat people who need help. You have had a nasty operation that needs checking up on. I am positive that any doctor will be able to help and reassure you and also prescribe suitable pain medication. They really don't care who comes in their surgery door next, it's all in a days work for them and your symptoms need dealing with.

There are many and varied pain medications, the best ones are only on prescription though.

Please make the call in the morning, tell the receptionist that you are having distressing problems from a very personal operation and need to be seen quickly. The 7th November is far too long to wait, especially when you are to married on the 3rd.

Please do this and let me know how you get on, a good over the counter medication is Cocodamol 8/500mg, you can get it from any good chemist/Asda pharmacy. It still probably won't be strong enough for your pain as you need a prescription medication. The codeine bit can make you constipated though so if you try it get some fybogel sachets as well.

Please get yourself seen soon. Take care, Fanny Jane

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply Fanny Jane....Ive made a Doc's appointment and the earliest she can see me is tomorrow at 9:20am, i'm happy i posted on here as i was just going to get some over counter pain killers and get on with it ..........i have to be honest tho i dont think they will cut the pain and like you say its best to get checked.

Thank you so so much

smile

• Posted

Hello, I am so relieved that you have made an appointment, I was so worried about you when I read what you have been going through.

I hope that you get the treatment and pain medication you need. Sometimes we have to be brave and ask for help when it's needed, you have waited far too long.

Good luck and my very best wishes to you for a speedy recovery and a wonderful wedding day. Fanny Jane.

• Posted

Hey Ya, thank you for your kind wishes. Drs went well the issue im having is called a fissure (not sure if thats how its spelt sorry - its a small tear near the scar to my wound from the operation) explains the pain, ive now got a perscription for some ointment and also some pain killers to help with the pain.

Fingers crossed this will sort me out as it was getting a bit unbearable. They have also done a blood test to see why im so run down at the moment as i may be a little bit anemic... so going to the drs was the best thing i have done.

Thank you for being there, your a very careing person and its been nice to have someone just to get the worries outa my head....youve been a great help. Thank you

• Posted

My pleasure, I'm just really pleased that you are receiving the right treatment.

Remember if you have any more health worries go the the gp as that's what they're there for.

My very best to you for now and the future. Fanny Jane.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.