Achilles Tendon Recovery / Tendonitis

Posted , 2 users are following.

I ruptured my Achilles tendon 4 years ago and was in a cast / moon boat and was ultimately on crutches for five months, I slipped in the bathroom between this period which set me back.

I am now 41 and 14st 4, 5'11 in height and a little overweight, but I am now going to the gym more regularly.

I ahve started to run more and at the moment this is fine, I play table Tenis once a week and wass doing a Spin class for a year or so but now using the Cross Trainer and Bike in the gym.

Yesterday, for the first in 4 years I played football. I feel okay other than being tender and ache !

However, the inside of my ankle (same foot as the Achilles injury) is tender as it was many years ago, again before the Achilles injury.

I have two questions to ask.

Has anyone of a simialr age to me recovered after rupturing their Achilles tendon and who now has soem similar sporting acitivty to me. I would be interested to know how you are getting on and any set backs you have had.

Secondly, my primary issue is a dull ache in my ankle, tender and sore, since playing football yesterday. Each time I place my left foot down it's quite painful. Years ago when I had this, I was told it was tendonitis but I haven't felt this for many many years and peturbed that this issue has returned. 

Has anyone got any recovery advice or experience they can share - things to do and what not to do ?

I would be grateful for any feedback or advice.

Stewart

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stewart.

Hope your well.

I too have ruptured my Achilles and suffer with constant aches and pains sometimes it's worse than other days but always there.

I find the cold weather makes them particularly hard tight.

I'm sure a lot of the recovery is mind of matter but easier said than done I'm sure you'll aggree.

Regards

Carolyn

• Posted

Agreed the cold doesn't help. Are you doing much sport at the moment and how is it going ?

Stewart

• Posted

I do a far amount of cycling which is fairly easy on them. Did a small amount of slow gentle jogging. I would be too worried to do anything more than that! That's good that your able to play football.
  • Posted

I can play football but my ankle does get swollen and played twice recently and it was hard work - not sure I will continue.

How far do you do the Cycling - I do a bit in the gym but it's not really the same I guess.

• Posted

I guess you should see how it goes. Don't want it to cause harm.

I cycling about five miles a day to work then some weekends go out further 30mils plus. It's really helped me. It's good for getting musscle back and can also stand out of the pedals to really strengthen them.

• Posted

Wow Superwoman ! You must be quite fit - go you :-)

Good points about muscle strengthening with the Cycling - I must do more to help improve my Achilles and muscles generally.

• Posted

I don't at present use a support for my ankle it's been four years so don't feel I need to use anything, but I am not against the idea. Do you use any kind of support ?
    • Posted

No I don't either other than trying not too wear completely flat shoes or bare feet.
  • Posted

Hi Stew

i ruptured my Achilles tendon playing football 4 years ago. Went straight into weight bearing boot with wedges and Brace with one wedge being removed every month for 3 months. Didn't drive for these 3 months!

i then began physio and after a further 3 months was able to walk properly and started speed walking and cycling.

approx 12 months ago started playing badminton and kept pulling muscles in left leg (same leg with ATR). Stopped and began walking longer distances and cycling more and returned to badminton after 6 months. Started playing weekly, fine for 6 months and then week before christmas dec 2014, suffered triple fracture and full dislocation to same leg! Ouch!!!

had surgery day after, screws and plate and now 14 weeks later going through the same physio as wit ATR.

Probably take another 4-6 months to walk properly but I will return to sport in 12-18 months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.