seroxat or escitalopram. .......

Posted , 5 users are following.

I once took an anti depressant and had awful side effects and it put me off meds for life. It took 2 years of exposure therapy bto be able to even take 1 paracetamol. My doc wants to prescribe me seroxat but I want to try escitalopram because after the not nice episodes my gp at that time said to try escitalopram because I shouldn't have the same side effects so I have previously asked for escitalopram and was told no instantly because it's expensive!! Am at a different surgery mow so thinking might try ask here. But wanted to know what people thought of the two meds? I suffer with panic disorder, agoraphobia, monophobia and if my heart race increases it triggers severe panic attacks so that's a big issue as the citalopram gave me bad palpitations and put me off any meds for nearly 11years. Im only 28 and have no life have had to give up a career and had enough of being confined by the chains of my anxiety. ... thanks for reading and sorry for the essay

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi I am on escitalopram and get racing heart but it's all part of the anxiety and panic as the tablets raise everything to start with I am on week 2 and still getting all kind of side effects but everyone is different my partner is on them much higher then me and he had nothing.
    • Posted

Thanks for replying smile I really want to try them because they were suggested to me after citalopram. Is yours a constant feeling or just now and then? And can it be calmed down with breathing techniques? Sorry for all the questions just that is my main trigger for me my fitness levels are awful because of it and its exactly what triggered the agoraphobia. Thinking maybe should ask for a beta blocker then once ok add an anti depressant....... why is it so hard?
    • Posted

Im on Escitalopram (generic Lexapro )& have just jumped to 15mg because 10mg was doing nothing for my depression. I have had a few heart palpitations but they are lessing. Iv only been on 15 for 4 days. What I dont like rt now about Escitalopram is it makes me sleepy. I take 10@night an 5 in am around same time. Thats important with antidepressants. Timing. They do increase anxiety at first but if you can get past 2-3 wks it lessens. Everyone is different. Iv also gained 13lbs since Dec. I dont like that. Iv been on Zoloft an it was helping mentally but had diaherra an major wt loss. Had to stop. So I dont know if Im staying on Escitalopram or not. We'll see how I am in another wk or so. The only way to know if a med is going to help is to try it. An realize you will have startup sideeffects. Get your mind off thinking about all the bad an get a hobby or exercise maybe. Just suggestions. Some people tell me "just get happy!" Its not that easy! I want to be happy but something isnt rt in my brain rt now. Im also in PAWS. Post acute withdraw syndrom fr a Tramadol addiction. Tramadol acts like a antidepressant along with pain relief. Also started menopause in Sept! So going thru all that! Crazy!

Goodluck

• Posted

Hi has always been in the morning as I take the tablet at night it eases by 11 it feels like someone has given you an adrenaline shot it has got less over the 2 weeks for sure, by the afternoon my heart is slow and I feel very relaxed, if you r suffering with anxiey and panic it will be raised for a few weeks as the brain adjusts this is my 3rd time of being on them. Yes breathing excercises help a lot I do mindfulness or learning to and hypnosis. They r one of the best tablets but u need to be patient Which is very hard.

2 weeks in i am driving again and going to a few shops where as 2 weeks ago I couldn't I have lost all my self confidence but I am the only one who can bring it Back, I also have CBT

• Posted

Wow you have it all at once by the sounds of it sad hope it all settles for you soon. Pleased to hear they are working and your right im not going to know unless I try. Now my task is to persuade my doc to prescribe them. They wanna give me seroxat but that has withdrawal symptoms if you miss a dose and me and my anxiety and fear of meds that's going to be hard. Yeah I have taken up lots of hobbies since my anxiety etc has got bad. I knit, crochet, bake, draw kind of anyway haha but yeah all non stop really. And I have a diploma that needs completing too. Hope everything settles for you xx
    • Posted

Wow massive well done for that then smile that's great news hope it keeps getting easier for you smile you are right though we are the only ones who can make us better smile I'm going to have some more cbt and do loads of self help too its the only way I have survived for the last few years lol the chimp paradox is a great book if your ever in need of one its got lots of self help tasks in it too smile might ask for some beta blockers as a just incase too because that will trigger stupid amounts of panic attacks for me. Even walking up the stairs makes my heart beat so I cam fell it and bam full on panic attack sad hate it. Fingers crossed the meds do the trick smile xx
    • Posted

I worry soooooo much about my heart racing so I do know how u feel when we get health anxiety we tend to focus on it even more but that actually makes it worse.

It's normal for the heart rate to go up and down and different times but when u are anxious it makes it worse. I have just come back from walking the dog and I am worried as my heart rate is up but it should be but doesn't mean I like it. I keep counting it to see if it's coming down but all I am doing is keeping the anxiety high!

The mind is very strong and I am trying to learn to distance myself from my thoughts as that's all they r thoughts and the more distance I put into them the less anxious I am.

I have mindfulness CBT it's well worth a read if you can. Cipralex are very good for anxiety and panic u just have to hold on tight and ride out the side effects if u get any.

• Posted

Awww hope your ok and it settles quickly. I tend to tell myself I have a pain elsewhere or if it's real bad pinch myself and concentrate on that just so reduces the chance of a full attack. Really want my life back though and for the first time in many years of this battle I'm ready to ride it out and take meds. Will have a look for mindfulness cbt I do find these therapies helpful and breathing exercises I would be lost without ny 5, 2, 7 technique my therapist taught me best onebi have ever come across smile what sort of dog do you have? They hepp loads I find I have a staffy and my housemate has a collie but my lil pooch always knows when im feeling poop and comes and gives me a cuddle smile xx
    • Posted

What's that tecnique then???

Have a cook a poo and a lab and a 6 yr old

• Posted

Hi anniee

As you have been on both, can you tell me the difference between citalopram and escitalopram? I'm on citalopram for the depression side of my bipolar.

Sorry if soemeone else has already asked/answered this question

Best Wishes

Lizzie

• Posted

Escitalopram is a newer and purer version then citalopram its also more expensive then citalopram which is why it's not prescribed as much
    • Posted

what is a 5 2 7 technique???????????????

Sxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.