Repeat symptoms

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I experienced my TIA 5 weeks ago. I lost my speech for a few minutes which was a bit scary. I immediately went to A&E where I was dealt with very well. I'm on Clopidogrel & Atorvastatin. Sometimes a whole week goes by without any repeat symptoms but I do get odd feelings e.g. on two or three occasions my nose has numb sensations & today my arm & shin are tingly. Having had the regular tests & scans over the past weeks, I have an appointment with the TIA consultant in two weeks, I presume to give me the results, I'll tell him about the repeat incidents but should I be concerned in the meantime? Thanks.

3 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Paul,

Make notes as you will come out after seeing him and go "oh I never mentioned this and that" ...

Wish you well and do not stress too much (my surgeon told me Stress is bad for you,  good luck and relax or as I do sing happy songs x

• Posted

Hi Paul, I will say the same as Winnie write everything down and keep a diary so you can remember to ask him everything. You will find that you notice every little thing that happens, things you would have taken no notice of before your tia. As Winnie said stress is bad for you so try and relax, even though it is hard. Hope you feel better soon, God bless x
    • Posted

Thank you Trudy, that's very kind of you. Yes, you're right, you do notice every little thing don't you. Will do. Many thanks, Paul x
  • Posted

I wish someone could tell me how to get rid of stress, The fear of having another stroke is always with me and I've lost all my confidence. Please don't tell me to sing a song!
    • Posted

Hi Pauline, can I ask how long ago did you have your stroke? I had one in november and I am still off work, I do not worry, now, about it happening again but my confidence is non existent, my speech is still bad, I stammer, I have headaches every day and am always tired. I am now seeing a mental health nurse to try and help the anxiety but it is still early days. A stroke is a horrible thing to happen to anybody especially when you cannot see a future but try and stay positive, you will get there, in time xxx
    • Posted

Hi Trudy, I had my stroke in Oct 2011, with several TIA's subsequently. 

Initially I made good progress, playing bowls and started driving again, until I had the first of the TIA's. Then I started to worry about having another stroke. I received counselling, for a limited time, for panic attacks. But this stopped as I had reached the limit for NHS funding. Since then I have had another 2 TIA's. It was then I totally lost my confidence. I am trying to overcome it, driving short distances. 

At Christmas I was able to write my own cards, (I was unable to control a pen before)  The family assured me my efforts were legible. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is, Progress is limited. You think you're getting there, then something happens that pushes you back. 

Having the nurse counsel you is definitely a good thing. My counsellor was highly qualified, as a counsellor, but had very limited medical knowledge. In particular about strokes.

The medical profession tends to concentrate on the nuts and bolts of the stroke, not the after effects. As they hold the purse strings that can impact the availability of aftercare.

Hope things go well and thanks for your interest.

• Posted

Pauline my surgeon said "No Stress"  hard to live without it though.

I sing and drive the family mad ha.  It takes my sad felings away like

"Oh poor me I had a strokeand cant walk that far " so when I first came around after shunt was fitted a year later, I was determined to make myself happy and not feel sad.  We are the survivors, we have to live life to the full and be happy we made it so lets start singing xxx  I'll start 1st song off ~ My Dads song he used to sing ~ a3 hit it Win x

A pal must be a pal forever and yound a pal in me

Now smile and be happy when possible xx

Love

Win xx

• Posted

Hi Paul, as long as you are taking the prescribed medices all should be good. 6 years ago i was suffering TIAs after a fall. I suffered damage to 1 of the carotid arteries which was sending flakes of blood clots around my body & found their way to the part of the brain that affects the speach. 

I was on wafarin up until 8 weeks ago when i suffered a mild heart attack ( now awaiting a triple heart bypass). Just out of interest what is your INR level ? with best regards Dean 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.