just took 1st dose of gabapentin last night feel dizzy, does it really help with back pain

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been on morphine and oxycodone and being tapered off and I'm hoping gabapentin will relieve my arthritis in my back

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yes, it does help with pain.  It's normal to feel dizzy or disoriented, especially when you first start taking it.  Just be careful when you're trying to wean off.
    • Posted

Yes it does I usually take myself off to bed I haven't been told how I should wean myself off them, I take them as and when I need them like at the moment wit a scI at I can flare up I also take them.for my neck They do work but yes drowsy I can't drive on them.or walk I have to stay in the house
  • Posted

These symptoms pass, it is a marvellous drug and gives a life back.  Persevere and I hope you will find the benefits I have.  I take 600mg four times a day plus other pain relief.  Without them life isn't worth living, with them I have a life and feel very lucky to have access to such drugs.  Good luck.
  • Posted

I'm on 900mgs of gabapentin a day.. when I first took then I was very dizzy.. felt like I was drunk.

It does wear off after a couple of weeks. Yes It does help with pain... so stick with it.. but as the others say don't drive until you feel safe xx

• Posted

Hi,I been on gabapentin for 15yrs after trying many others , I also take tramadol slow release,gabapentin to me honestly changed my life from extreme nerve and back pain to virtually pain free as long I dont do to much, the biggest problem with gabapentin is starting, you have to increase over time untill you reach the point where your feelling better,but from the start comes all the side dizziness, tiredness is a big one amonst others but if you can be strong and get through all this your body will adapt and it will become a part of your life , i sleep a little in the afternoon not always and other than that I'm fine and have been for years,untill you need it raised then you go through a bit of the bad times again , then back to normal, I champion this drug after amitrypline,pregablin,morphine etc, it gets a bad rap because people give up to early and then say its crap but each to there own,I wish you all the best and feel free to ask anything.
  • Posted

I had to start taking Gabapentin in 2010. I was weaned off of 1200 mg per day because it did not touch my pain and caused severe depression. They tried every non narcotic with me they could until they could no longer deny me Norco 5/325. Gabapentin was helpful at first and I did have the same symptoms of dizziness and disorientation. They should have you on a titration where you move up in dosage. If they don't then you should call your doctor. For a person of 145 pounds my titration for chronic pain was 1200 mg. I became very depressed from it in 2012 from it and they had to slowly take me off of it by 300mg per month. Then I became a test subject for antidepressents, zoloft, prozac, buspar, (almost) everything that was out there and none of them worked until i took the bipolar quiz online and discovered I might be bi-polar 2. After speaking with my Psych NP she prescribed me Depakote 500mg. But anyways for pain I just take Norco 5/325. I just had a Transforminal ESI which is epidural surgery in my L45 and L56 Lumbar or spine with conscious sedation and my walking has improved. However the damage is done and unless a miracle happens I will have to get shots every 6 months to stop the pain. Good luck with your gabapentin. Just please don't let them make you into a tester subject. A lot of the NSAIDs caused me stomach problems and I have GERD and I take Zantac twice per day from all of the different ones they gave me. Depression is part of being in pain for most people but it depends of the level of pain you are in. Read the prescription details and warnings and if you have any bad signs call your doctor immediately. Gabapentin can work great for some people but for some it can work very badly. 
  • Posted

I forgot to add that I take Lyrica too 100 mg split into 50 mg per day. They are going to increase my dosage to 150 mg per day soon. I also take diazepam. A good muscle relaxer but I may have to go off of it to stay on the pain killers. But we do have medical marijuana here and I qualify. My doctor is not against it so I am willing to try that route in a couple of months too. I am a college student in my senior year in business school. I do not believe it will effect my grades but I may have to stay off of it while doing schoolwork, however, there are so many strains out there now that they even have ones that allow you to work and keep the pain away at the same time. No pain but no mind high? I have heard of it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.