Constant period, with horrendous pain...sick of it!!!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I went on a holiday of a lifetime last year...and bled for 2.5 weeks (great). I had tests when I came home which revealed 'lots' of fibroids.  Apparently, they are too small to operate on, so I get the idea that I have to put up with this. My GP has me on 'try this for 3 months and come back'. I've now almost had a constant period for 12 months.

My GP gave me the contraceptive injection, which worked for a month. Then, mid Feb, my period started with a vengeance. Heavy, painful, back pain, flooding....and I'm sick to the back teeth of it!!!

I bleed for 3 weeks every month and spot for the final week. I'm going out of my mind. It's affecting every part of my life. I flooded at work, it's ruining my relationship, is ruining holidays and I'm sick of feeling poorly and tired.

My GP has agreed, today, to refer me to a private hospital for tests....but if the fibroids are still too small, do I put up with this forever???!!!!

I've tried evening primrose, ibruprofen, paracetamol, agnus cactus and NOTHING works.

Please!!!!! Can anyone suggest ANYTHING to make this stop?????

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I get it, it's frustrating. Here's what I have tried in the past, may or may not be options for you (I have since had surgery):

-fibristal: medication, but only approved for short term use, up to 6 months

-transemic acid to control the bleeding (not sure though if can use long term, ie. I only used on heavy days during 6 day period)

-mgfus(?) - its where they stick you in MRI and blast them with waves. I did this through a study

-There seems to be clinical trials going on across the world with various medications, techniques, etc. I think the site I've gone to is Clinical Trials. You may need to find one for your area.

Others seem to have had success with mirena coil or ufe. You may want research these. Anyway, best of luck, hope you get some solutions!

• Posted

Thanks Cam...I feel like I'm going mad and I can't believe how patient my partner is being.  I've ordered some transemic acid from the internet because I'm sick of having to explain myself to the GP and am just looking for remedies over the internet.  I've tried extra strength primrose oil today and it does seem to have taken the edge off the pain.

The hospital I've been referred to has a renowned fibroid centre, so I'm hopeful that they can suggest something.

I don't have children, my partner cannot have any more and I feel like screaming "just take it all away".  I never thought I'd want a hysterectomy but I'm at my wits end and am coming round to the idea, fast.

Thanks for the reply. Fingers crossed that the hospital will suggest something...

• Posted

Been there and I hear you, its a living nightmare, esspecially when the bleeding just stops your life.

1. You need to get a good GP, that will listern and give you drugs you need. you can try norestheroine which can prospone a period. 

2.As stated above, here in the uk we have Esmya - this worked great for me, stopped the bleeding and is suppose to shrink fib's, but you can only take it for 6 months max. a 3 month course costs around £500 i think so you may have issues getting it off the NHS

3. have you have a recent transvaginal scan and blood test, you need to find out if you are aneamic

4. make sure the consultant can give you options. a hysterectmoy might not be the only option. i am having a myomectomy for large fibs. the consultant should be sympathetic to the restrictions the bleeding is putting on your life. 

5. something for the long term - change of diet can take away the pain of periods, it did for me, meat free, diary free, gluten free. lots of green veg and lentils, pulses and no caffiene. 

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, I hadn't heard of Esmya, I'll ask at my next appointment. 

I hadn't thought of a change of diet (but I'm up for trying anything) and it can't hurt to eat more healthily.

This is really, really getting me down. I know it's not the worst thing in the world but it rules my life. When we go out for a weekend, I have to take a bag-full of protection and make sure we're by a toilet. Then you get that awful feeling when you know you've flooded and it just ruins the day / moment....we went to a water park on holiday and it was a total nightmare, I spent the whole day paranoid and checking my swimming costume.

Any romance is completely out of the window and my partner and I are living more like brother and sister. Aaaaggghhhh!!!!

• Posted

I find eating lentils everyday delays my period for a few days. It also has lots of iron. But maybe have a look at your diet.
  • Posted

Sorry for th trouble,my experience with lots of fibroids-;when i took contraceptive pill for 10 months i bleeded like hell,after stopping them 31/1/2014,it stopped but not immediate,so i took cod liver oil,vitamin D supplements n apple cider vineger(not purified),with time it stopped(it didnt take too long to stop) & observe diet too & till todate am able to do things peacefully without heavy bleedings.

So i concluded contraceptive pill can worsen things,.fibroids r still there n

am doing MRI to decide wht next(operation or which medication)

So i think u can try control them this way as they are still small

But must say mayb depends their location as different medication reacts different to with different person.

Hope u wil get a solution to solve it.

• Posted

I'm typing this in tears. I've flooded this morning and feel so low and fed up. I just want this all to end.

I'm taking iron tablets but feel run down and horrible (I've been bleeding non-stop this time for 3 weeks).

My GP needs to do a letter to refer me to a private hospital (under my insurance). I went to the GP Monday, it's now Thursday and the letter isn't ready (why does it take 3 days to do a letter???).

So fed up. Just want to crawl into a hole and not come out.

• Posted

I really feel for you and have been in that hottrible situation of bleeding and flooding all the time.

You need to keep calling the GP surgery and say the situation is worsening and you need that letter, or when will it be ready.

have you had a blood test - how low is your Hb level, when i was bleeding so much i was getting chest pain, that my gp told me was indegistion. when i did get the blood test results back, the hb was so low i was on the level for having to have a blood transfusion and this is what was giving me chest pain. 

If all else fails and you do not get the letter tomorow, go to a&e, so you can get some drugs to stop the bleeding. 

• Posted

Thanks everyone, it's good to know I'm not the only one.

The GP's letter wasn't ready (after 5 days) so I asked them who I'm being referred to.  I phoned the hospital and booked myself in. I'll collect the letter from the GP if / when it's ready.

I've had a horrible weekend with bad pains and flooding.  I don't know how I can bleed this much and not be dead (seriously!). I've bought some iron tablets and am taking 1 a day.  This is costing a fortune....I've spent £30 this month already on herbal remedies, agnus castus, transxemic acid, primrose oil, sanitary protection, ibruprofen etc, etc.

I've bought lots of vegetables and am trying to eat healthier.  I've heard of apple cider vinegar and this will be my next experiment.

My appointment at the hospital is next Wednesday evening, so fingers crossed I'll get some sort of plan of action.

• Posted

a dash of ACVinegar in water worked really well for me, no period pain but still just as much blood. Us women are tough, i did wonder the same thing, i was surprised any blood  was still in my body
    • Posted

OK, I saw the consultant last week. She thinks I have an intolerance to hormones within birth control and has taken me off everything.

So far, I've been bleeding for 3 weeks. It finally stopped at the weekend but when I had sex with my partner, I bled afterwards and the next day (which is worrying the life out of me).

I've brought my next consultant's appointment forward to next Monday to discuss this.

I've been offered a coil or ablatian (sorry if spelling wrong). I've heard horror stores of the coil and I'm not keen (also, if I have a fibroid in the entrance to my cervix, the coil isn't going to help?). I'm thinking along the lines of ablatian but want to make sure that this will take all of the fibroids.

I've seen more options on the internet but this is all I've been offered.

I'm taking every herbal supplement known to man and have changed my diet. It's really getting me down now. I can't cope with the constant bleeding. We are planning a weekend away with lots of walking. I have to be prepared in case I have a flood and daren't do anything with my partner in someone else's house (could you imagine?!?!).

Am totally sick of this now. Enough already.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.