Arthroscopic Capsular Release Surgery for Frozen Shoulder

Posted , 31 users are following.

Anyone out there had this surgery?  After suffering for a considerable time, missing the stage for injection I have surgery in a few days. I'm interested to hear others experiences post surgery, particularly around pain/mobility and return to work.

Thansk in advance, Mandy

0 likes, 107 replies

107 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I had capsular release surgery on 13th Feb, so roughly three weeks ago. 

My experience.

I woke up after the op with my arm upright in a suspended sling completely numb due to the nerve block thing.  It was really weird as I felt that my arm was on my chest.  The surgeon then came in moved it around, it looked like a rubber arm, it was a strange sensation.  Next morning physiotherapist came in and started me on simple exercises that I felt were impossible to do, but slowly I was able to do most of them.  Went home with the list of exercises to do every hour or so.  As the numbing wore off pain did start, but nothing like the hell of FS.  Took nurofen and paracetamol and was told to heat the shoulder before exercises and ice after, I did this and it makes a difference. After a couple of days I was able to go pain killer free, which was such a relief.  I did not lift anything with the arm or drive for about 10 days.

It is amazing how quickly you start to feel better, once the dressing comes off (after 10 days) and you can wash your hair properly, I even managed to get my hair into a wonky ponytail!  After two weeks I began to feel more like my old self, more energy as I am able to sleep better.  I slept in one of those pillows with the long arms that surround you, I'm not sure of the exact name but you can get them online, I would suspend my arm over it to keep the arm open and not clamped to my side.

My range of movement was good, with support slowly I could lift it to shoulder height, then slowly over my head (lying down) every day you start to go a little further.  You will need  to be off work for at least a week, two if you can swing it, depending on the sort of job, journey to work you have.

I am returning to the gym tomorrow as I now feel able to do a Zumba class again,(gently) just to get the blood flowing and am booking a holiday to Florida, now that I feel so much better.

Don't worry about the op, it is a godsend, I highly recommend it, at least now I am going in the right direction.  In case you are worried about the scars, dont, they really are tiny, one on the front of my shoulder and one behind - about 1cm.

Physio:  Have had 2 so far, one was just exercises and one was hands on, which was a bit daunting, but they only go to the pain then stop, then try again.

Hope this info helps, good luck for your surgery, you will be fine. I will keep you posted on my progression.

Cheryl

Am starting to plan holidays

• Posted

I had a labrum repair newly 3 months ago. My shoulder is extremely stiff. I have been in pt for a while now.

I go to see my surgeon in a couple days and I thought about asking him if a arthroscopic capsular release or a shoulder manipulation may help me.

So my question for you is.... if you were recovery from a surgery before you had the release, how long post op did you wait before having the release?

Thanks

• Posted

I had a 360 labrum repair and AC decompression. I wasn't able to get my capsular release until 10 months or so. I had horrible range or motion and did not respond to injections. My initial surgeon didn't acknowledge the problem so I had to seek another opinion. The original surgeon wanted me to wait 18 months which is rediculous.

I'm 5 months post op capsualr release now and unfortunately for me its been a struggle. My range is better but I still have issues with internal rotation. I have come to the realization that I will never be able to scratch my back again with that arm. Im to my back pocket at best. But now Im still tight with rotational range but now Im dislocating when the shoulder is loaded with resistance. Give it time you are just at the healing phase. In my journey I look back and at three months its way too early for a release. By 6 months your range should be very good. If it's not then have the talk about a capsular release. How long were you immobalized before you started therapy?

• Posted

I was in my sling for three weeks before starting physical therapy.

Since my last past, my doc did a manipulation. He didnt cut me. Just put me out and moved my shoulder/arm around. I have gained alot of movement in some directions but still have tightness. My scapula still protrudes outward and shoulder still hikes. I still have alot of pain...it comes and goes through out the day where as before it hurt non stop.

• Posted

I can definitely relate to all of those. I have found massage therapy to help with my scapular winging. My pec muscle was very tight as was my bicep tendon which still is. My doctor never acknowledged the tightness as a problem so I'm glad yours did. With being immobilized for three weeks it's going to take some time to regain strength in your scapula and various shoulder muscles. Hopefully once you get to the strengthening part of the program your muscles will be able to pull your scapula and shoulder back down.

It took around 4 1/2 months post op capsular release for my scapula to get anywhere close to normal and also the stop hiking my shoulder up so much.

Again I'm not a doctor but I've done a lot of research and spoke with a lot of medical professionals about my issues. Don't get discouraged it will take time. My case was unique because when I initially dislocated my shoulder upon injury it broke off pieces of my glenoid. In order to compensate for those pieces my labrum had to be pulled extra tight not to mention I have 11 anchors. Sounds like you have a good doctor and as long as you have a good physical therapist you should be good in the months to come. Patience, diligence, Nsaids, and ice will all be your friend. I wish you the best of luck. I've been through approximately 12 months of therapy between the two surgeries. So I've experienced many things on my journey. Feel free to contact me if you need another perspective from a patient viewpoint.

• Posted

Thank you! You have restored my faith. The hiking, scapular winging and pain has had me wishing I never had the labrum repair. I am terrified that I will never be without pain and be distorted the rest of my life. My PT keeps telling me I need to settle down. As your said, it will take time. I never thought about all the issues that arise post surgery. I just figured...I'd have pain. Boy way I mistaken.

Once again, thank you and I hope you continue to improve on your road to recovery!

• Posted

Oh, its funny you mentioned massage therapy as i just had a session yesterday!
    • Posted

I attribute the massage therapy to help correct the winging more than anything. And yes doctors tend to leave out the difficult recovery. But I think its due to the lengthy immobilization and the need to re-mobilized the joint. I have had a back surgery which compares nothing as far as pain and recovery goes. The shoulder surgery is as much mental as it is physical due to the slow progression. Have a good week!
    • Posted

Hello, I just want to help out with my advice. If you need to do physio and is just too painful I highly recommend you go in to a nice warm swimming pool or hot tub, you hardly feel pain for some reason and you are able to accomplish more.

Wishing you all the best, this condition is for sure hell.

My best wishes for fast recovery.

• Posted

Hi, I am going through something similar. Humerus fracture, torn tendon and labrum one year ago, and capsular release 4.5 months ago. I still have no external rotation, and a lot of pain and crepitus on resisted abduction. I'm wondering if you saw your capsular release surgical report? Did you see the ROM measurements that your surgeon attained during surgery? I'd like to find out what others have had. Mine was only 160 flexion, 60 internal and 70 external, so not "full" in my opinion, especially with respect to internal, it should be 90 to be full.  It's bizarre that the report said 70 external, because I can't get past 20

• Posted

Unfortunately I wasn't told of my surgery measurements. Currently, I am 40-45 internal rotation which was at neutral before, 60 or so external and was around 50 before release, those active range numbers. Therapy says passive range Im close to normal range, haha but unfortunately that doesn't equal active real life range as you know. I just saw the doctor yesterday and yet again I have to get another MRI Arthrogram. Ugh. With my chondral damage I may be stuck where I am pain wise and motion. It was a struggle to get my internal and external to those active range numbers. But my therapist was diligent on her torturing of me lol. My internal was at neutral at my 2.5 months. A cortisone shot helped me push through and gain more ROM. Hopefully you get your breakthrough soon. Massage helped me out immensely.

• Posted

Hi, thanks for that. You could ask for your surgical report if you'd like to know the measurements they got during surgery. At least you are showing progress in all directions. I hope you get past the pain. I am seeing my surgeon in two days to discuss a repeat capsule release... I'm going to have to dig deep to find the motivation to go through a fourth surgery!

• Posted

I just my new arthogram done and the results were: Advancing arthristis and more chondral damage, also for the second time post op another SLAP tear from 11-7. 😡

The surgeon downplayed it and said it wasn't as large as the radiologist reported and shouldn't need surgical repair However as my therapist told me it explains why my shoulder is slipping out while under stress / work load during roational exercises. I think Im finally done trying to repair and rehab this. Its obvious what my future holds. My work comp seems to think so too. My doctor requested 16-24 therapy (8 weeks) visits and my work comp granted me 8. I was told if there is no improvement they will not approve any more moving forward. What a mess...

• Posted

How's everything going APuckett? Hopefully things are going better.

• Posted

I had surgery 3 days ago now and I have never been in this much pain in my life I kinda question my surgery to my Dr didn't give me no instructions of what to do my arm is so stiff do you have any idea that I can do to get my shoulder from being so stiff

• Posted

Hi was it a frozen shoulder? Hopefully you have strong pain killers- definitely needed for first few days/week regularly. Should have been prescribed by hospital.Initially will be stiff, starting physio therapy will help, you should have been given physio exercises to do, and have appointment within a few days. Just swinging arm and arm circles, but not before able to move . Phone physiotherapist at hospital or consultant if nothing planned for you. Generally positive outcome with physio.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.