Arms and legs numb during sleeping

Posted , 8 users are following.

It has been happening for a long time now. I changed the bed and pillow but it did not help. I am 26 and this numbing is not only happening during sleep but also when I am working. I find my hands going numb and legs numb. Then I stand up, walk for a while and it goes away. During sleep it is so serious that It keeps waking me up.

I dont like my local gp, he keeps telling me everything is ok. I want to pay to a private doctor to check me thoroughly. Are there private doctors/clinics in uk? What are they called? I travelled to UK to work 8 years ago? I was very young then and had no worries. But now I am being concerned about my health every day. Please advise as I am no getting worried about myself

Many thanks

Krum

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Krum, Have you consulted to any Rheumatologist? I think they can help you.

Thanks

Jeremy

• Posted

My fingers or hands or arms or toes or bum go numb all the time in my sleep and it wakes me up and I have to shake whichever part has fallen asleep until it wakes up. I went to the doc about it recently and she said if it goes back to normal when you shake them out then it's probably just compressed nerves and nothing to worry about. I am dubious about this since I'm often not lying on my hands when it happens but since I wake up every day able to use my arms and legs it must be ok! I think it happens to lots of people at some point or other but if you're worried and gp won't refer you maybe contact a private hospital and get an appointment with a neurologist. I think it costs about £250. 
  • Posted

Oftentimes it is because of side sleeping, where you pin your weight against one side of shoulder and thigh. This causes your nerves to experience enough pressure to make them feel numb. Try getting a memory foam pillow for your head and legs.
  • Posted

Hello Krum I just read your post and I know its been a year ago but I too have numb limbs. The problem I had along with my son as he too gets this. Its the wool in the bed. I have gone through so many mattresses and the only bed the has no wool at all is the IComfort beds. Of course waterbeds do not have wool. Once I one for myself and one for my son... No more numb arms or legs. Its an awful feeling. I hope this helps. Wonderfulbear.
  • Posted

Krum I had the same problem for yrs in the elf I landed up with calpol tunnel surgery 60% better but 2 yrs later and just had ulna nerve surgery ,ask for a split to keep ur elbow straight at night that does help
  • Posted

I have this problem also,my leg always starts to feel numb while Im sleeping 
  • Posted

Sometimes when I am in the middle of my sleep, I wake up suddenly and then my legs feel numb

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.