Tennis Elbow - Help!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had tennis elbow in my right arm for 8 months now. After trying a epiclasp and physio, there has been some improvement and I can grip and lift with much less pain. However, it is still present and I am now being offered other forms of treatment. I am considering PRP injections (although physio has said it will probably not work!), but the final choice is surgery. While at the moment, the pain is manageable, it's mostly annoying eg when I forget and do something that causes pain.

I just don't know what to do. Should I even be considering surgery if the pain is bearable?

Just looking for advice from fellow sufferers to see what they have tried and their opinions

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi, choosing surgery is a big decision and should definitely not be taken lightly! And your physio is correct in saying the injections might not work. If you have swelling etc aspirations can be painful and a continuous process also. Have you looked into any natural options? Massage can help with releasing the muscles around the joints and prevent them from contracting and pulling the joints together putting pressure on the bursa etc. Make sure you find a qualified therapist though. Also heat and ice I have found to work well. I also tried using a natural treatment called osmopatch that works to draw out excess fluid from the area. You put it on overnight while you are resting. It worked really well in relieving the pain. I would probably Google some natural treatment options if I were you as surgery is pretty full on and as you say at the moment the pain in manageable. You might be able to find a solution or combination that will keep the symptoms at bay. Good Luck!
  • Posted

Look into stem cell treatment for tennis elbow.  I would opt for it over surgery.
    • Posted

I read an article in the Daily Mail a few months ago saying that stem cell surgery was the latest surgery/cure for tennis elbow.  It is performed as a surgery though.   
  • Posted

Have you just tried resting your arm for a few weeks? Try to do as little as possible and also make sure you don't sleep on your arm. Many people sleep on their sides and that doesn't help the situation. I also used an epsom salts compress which helped quite a bit. Also wrapped my elbow in a hot towel a few times a day to loosen the joint. Another thing that helped me a lot was a patch. I got some chinese patches but you can probably find something wherever you are. You can see Wei Fastt Patch as an example. This patch probably helped me the most. 

The key though is lots of rest and patience. Good luck

• Posted

Thanks for the advice, I did read your reply to another elbow suffer and I thought your advice was good advice.  I have had epsom salt baths and yes it is soothing but it doesnt get rid of it.  I have rested it for 2 weeks, but after two weeks I am climbing up the walls with boredom.  The word rest is not in my vocabulary.  There is no doubt if I gave up the activity that caused it then it would go, eventually, but I dont want to give up tennis.  If I gave up tennis and got rid of the tennis elbow, what would happen is 6 months down the line? I would get it again because it is over use of the tendons.  I have never had tennis elbow in my life before I took tennis up.  I have been thinking about the operation which appears to be very successful but would obviously need to see a consultant first.  
    • Posted

Hi Wacky,

The epsom salts did more than soothe my problem actually, but I think the main thing you need to do is take the time to heal then after that you do the exercises to strengthen the elbow muscles. There are many online as I'm sure you have seen. That way the chances of it coming back are slim. I have been working out for the past twenty years so these last few months of no workout were very difficult but I found other things to do that didn't aggravate my elbow, i.e. insanity etc. Now, I'm actually lifting weights again. The muscles are still a bit sore and I can't go really heavy but the tendon itself doesn't hurt at all. I'm constantly massaging and doing some exercises just to be safe. 

Basically it's also different strokes for different folks so what hope you find something that works for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.