First Colonoscopy - any advice - petrified

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi I am 20 years old and am due to have a colonoscopy. I cancelled my first appointment as i was so scared and was having night tremors and panic attacks at the thought of it!

Have read so many horrible stories and want to know actually how painful they are?

Would also like to know whether the painkillers and sedation is recommened as i hate needles and don't like the idea of not being aware of whats going on, dont want to feel like im not in control.

Any advice and experiences will be greatly appreciated x

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Katie. I am 65 and my husband is 74. He had a colonoscopy last week without sedation and although he said there was a little discomfort he found it fine.

I have had one today as I have diverticular disease and I trusted the gas and air they offer, but found it extremely painful and asked them to stop. They then said I would have to do it again later or they could give me a sedative. So I opted for the sedative which worked, but you are definitely fully awake and aware of what is going in. I'm glad its over. I found it very painful, but it doesn't last long.

Jean

• Posted

Hello Katie 8,

Have a read of a comment I have just posted in the Colonoscopy section.

This was my second colonoscopy, first one I was sedated for.

All the very best with it.

• Posted

Thank you jeanlyon and May5, have read your comment. Is very reassuring to hear others experiences, think I am over worrying and just need to get it done!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.