Irbersartan appears to have been one of the most sucessf...

Posted , 3 users are following.

Irbersartan appears to have been one of the most sucessful drugs I have taken for high blood pressure (I have been treated for high blood pressure for over thiry years).

My only problem now is that I have very painful knees. I have visited a pysiotherapist who assures my that the pain is not from the knees themselves but muscles/ligaments and thinks that the pain will eventually go away. I feel that the pain could be connected to my taking Ibersartan, although I have been taking it for sometime.

[i:b6c9ebc4c6]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:b6c9ebc4c6]

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have taken Ibersartan for the lasyt ten years I also experience pains in my knees

[i:f98ff7e0b9]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:f98ff7e0b9]

• Posted

I am a 67 year old male with esstential hypertension since age 32 yrs I have taken a number of different medications over the years I am physically fit - although I have a gleason 3+4 prostate localised - medication for 10 + years

IRBESARTAN 150mg - AMLODIPINE 10mg and either PROPRANOLOL 40mg x 2 or Atenolol 10mg x 1 - side effects ? suffered cramps in toes and legs at night recently Dr changed me over to CARVEDILOL 6.25 mg x2 I have deveoloped painful knees paralysis above and below the left knee and pain down left thigh - I have had extensive tests scans CAT XRAYS ETC no result all clear not thought to be due to Prostate cancer my next test is for a scan on the blood supply to that area. Maybe CARVEDILOL has increased the effect of one of my medications.

• Posted

I have had severe back pain since taking this drug - I am sure it effects ligaments and muscles. Cant get anyone to listen to me though!

• Posted

Caroline,

I notice you wrote about this a year ago.  By this time have things improved?  I have been put on Irbesartan and am suffering with pains in my neck, shoulders and top of arms - muscle pain?  I first was put on a low dosage, then it was increased.  However, I complained and it was reduced again.  Although this was slightly better as regards pain, it is still a problem.  Doctors do not seem to believe you when you try to explain.

• Posted

Hello - well to be honest I am still on it and still have stiff muscles in my upper back and my lower back is not good at all but this drug is the only one that seems to control my BP and I have learned to manage my back with physio etc. I am quite sensitive to meds and had tried quite a few before this one with not great reuslts. I am on 150 miligrams a day with Lercandapine and enapamide.

I have never had problems with muscles or mobility before taking this drug and for me mylower back pain which was acute and came on suddenly started 6 weeks after I commenced this drug. No one would listen - and dismissed my question as "unlikely".I have had MRi scans and there is no sign of any damage to my spine or discs. I went throught the menopause at the same time and any side effect was attributed to that. My doc has now agreed to review my meds in the next two months and I am going to see if it makes a difference.Its a balance of keeping my bp controlled and seeing if this drug is causing/atributing to my back pain and i just need to know if it is causing my muscle stiffness. I walk like a puppet from Thunderbirds as my body is so stuff!!! I think you need to be frank with your doc and see what the options are but dont change anything without being sure you are doing the right thing?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.