painkillers

Posted , 9 users are following.

i have tried lots of different painkillers but none of them had much effect , has anyone on here found some that do the trick ? the aching around my upper arm or tricep is getting worse and i just wondered if anyone had a tip

0 likes, 81 replies

81 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I agree, I'm waiting on surgery....2 more weeks, but none of the pain killers work that great. I'm on Targin 10mg, some nights I take a 10mg and a 5 mg but I'm still awake around 2am with that uncomfortable aching like pain.
    • Posted

i havent tried Targin , but from what you said i dont think ile bother , doctors should be able to come up with something surely.
    • Posted

It's a really strong slow release pain killer available here in Australia. You start on the lower dosage and build up to the higher. I find it great for night time, but I am on 1X20mg per night I can still go up higher if I need to, and you have to come back off them slowly so you don't suffer withdrawal
    • Posted

I googled it. It sounds interesting but I can't work out if it's available In the UK. Do you take anything else?x
    • Posted

I take 20mg Targin about 10pm and go to bed within half an hour.

I sleep on my back up on pillows with a pillow under my arm alongside my side. I usually give it a rub with some voltarin gel and put a heat pack on it. I can usually sleep till about 4am then I take 2 Panadeine Forte re heat my heat bag and can usually sleep till around 8am. I basically rest my arm and shoulder at all times....I don't really use that arm I keep it tucked into my hip

• Posted

At the height of my FS I took Tramadol at night, which gave me a reasonable nights sleep, and Naproxin during the day as it didn't make me drowsy. I have also used Cocodamol 30/500 with Ibuprofen at the start and end. I slept either lying on my left side hugging a pillow or on my back with a pillow underneath my right arm. I also found semi sitting up on the sofa helped, with plenty of pillow support for my arm, when it was worst.
    • Posted

I find I can't lay on my bad shoulder because of pain and I can't lay on the other side because my bad shoulder kind of falls forward or backward.....OWIE!!!! 

So YEP I'm on my back ALL night with pillows behind and a pillow under my arm......so over it. Can't wait to be pai free 

• Posted

Oh Kerri I do feel for you, I was the same which was why I slept on the sofa for months. Think my husband thought i'd left him. I found that I could prop myself on the back of the sofa and if I hugged a pillow It stopped me toppling backwards and forwards. The V shaped pillows help as well.
    • Posted

i was told tramadol can be a bit of a hard pill to swallow lol mindbending is what i was told ; i think probably the doctor will prescribe the best painkillers , well at least i hope so
    • Posted

I'm on the countdown 16 days to surgery....just over the sleepless nights and that constant nagging pain. Im sure there will be pain after the surgery, but I've heard they give you damn good painkillers....and at least with time the pain should then be getting better where as at the moment it is getting worse. So damn frustrating.....HUH???
    • Posted

after i had surgery on my right shoulder , it was just a little uncomfortable , not really much pain because the arm is still numb , they put me on a drip which had painkillers as well , so i wouldnt worry to much , good luck anyway .
    • Posted

Thanks heaps....I can't wait. It's just a day surgery, in in the morning out that afternoon, but I know I will be drugged up 😊
    • Posted

i had to stay overnight when i had mine done . looking back i remember what a weird feling it is having a dead arm , it feels so heavy and useless lol the numbness doesent wear off for about 24 hours , are you sure its just day surgery ?
    • Posted

Only took Tramadol at night as it really did literally knock me out. If I took it around 8 pm I was falling asleep by 9.30 pm and generally slept until 5 or 6 in the morning. If I took it any later I was like a zombie most of the following morning. It was lovely just to get a decent nights sleep. I suppose like all drugs it affects different people in different ways.
    • Posted

Good luck Kerri, let us know how your doing. Its so helpful to talk to other people going through the same thing and to share experiences.
    • Posted

Yep I'm sure it's day surgery.  Key hole surgery to repair full thickness rotator cuff tear......and I can't WAIT!!!! Then in a sling for 6 weeks, that's going to be difficult I think......thankfully our summer is over and we are into Autumn now but it's still been very humid, won't be fun in a sling
    • Posted

i think we may have had different surgery lol i never had my arm in a sling for 6 weeks , just overnight then went for physio for a few weeks , my right arm and shoulder are 99% ok its the left shoulder now thats got all the signs my first one had :-(

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.