What medications/ natural remedies have you tried for PCOS? Did they work?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

What medications and natural remedies have you tried for PCOS?

I was on the pill for the past 10 years and have been off for a year now. and now my PCOS symptoms are flaring up (body hair, acne, weight gain, insulin resistance, irrgular or late periods, depression, moody,)

I have started taking Antagolin (over the counter) two days ago. I am considering taking metformin soon as well if the antagolin doesnt do anything to cure my symptoms

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, 

I am currently taking Metformin, and in terms of it regulating your period which my doctor told me it would so far i am 2 month into taking it and I have not had a period yet so I dont know if it will cure your iregular periods, before taking it i was having a couple of break outs on my face and was being very moody (ask my partner) but since taking it this has gone!

Hope this helps.

Kirsty 

• Posted

Metaformin did not work for me, but it helps many. The only thing that greatly reduced my symptoms was stopping my period all together and loosing the weight. I still have the facial hair and significantly reduced pains in back, thighs and abdomen; but I can walk now and my razor works.  There is a study on the Paleo diet and PCOS going on now, nothing published yet to study. There is a very specific type of older BC that helps symptoms (I need to find the name but it's a phasic pill).
  • Posted

Natural remedies my dr advised: Eating no refined sugar ever. Concentrated juices and soda are horrid. Eat plenty of veggies fruit nuts (nuts are amazing) drink mostly only water. If you are eating meat, stick to chicken (grilled baked or in a soup or boiled) stay away from any preservatives, avoid vegatable oils except extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil. avoid fried anything. eat cooked food mostly. Exercise is key daily as much as you can stand. in short (there is no quick fix) Also make sure before making any alterations to your diet have your dr (preferably gyno check all your blood panel everything from hormone levels to organ function a full panel. My check up may end up saving my life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.