Post Achilles Debridement, followed by Total Achilles Rupture

Posted , 3 users are following.

I injured my Achilles (Tear)  March 2014, was given a ultrasound high volumed steroid injection and put into a airboat for 7 weeks which didn't help but had Debridement of the same Achilles on 13th Feb under GA, but ended up staying in for 6 days total non weight bearing (and was told this would be the case for 14 days) and just a dressing on my leg. On day 11 I went to see the consultant but saw the registrar instead. The nurse took my dressing off, cut all nice and clean, Registrar came and just looked at my scar, then said right phased return back to work the following week and could now go from total NWB to full weight bearing? I hadn't even mastered crutches at this point, had been using a Zimmer frame as I found it easier. Was totally confused. I saw the physio on day 14 who had never worked with anyone with a debridement but was very good and a little shocked I was now fully weight bearing. Anyway didn't go back to work as told by Registrar and GP signed me off for 2 weeks. Sadly on Tuesday 10th March I tripped just outside my home and managed to have a total Achilles rupture on the same Achilles. Saw consultant this time who diagnosed the Rupture and due to infection risks is now treating me non surgical with a cast then a boot. Going to be a long process but I feel that I was let down on my first appointment. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jenny, Sorry to read about all your problems and agree that you seem to have been let down in the important first stages.  To date I cannot praise the NHS staff that have helped me and at this stage am looking to stay positive and do as I am told.  I do appreciate that time is the key and to get your mind set around that concept.  Anyway good luck and hope things start to look up and get better sooner rather than later.
    • Posted

I too cannot praise them enough (and also because I work in the hospital I am under) but I think I just feel that I was rushed after the op to get back to work/normal mobility when I should of been encouraged to take my time. When I saw the Consultant with the rupture he did apologise and I think he felt a little guilty. But onwards and upwards. My wheelchair came today so now I can venture out other places than the hospital. Glad to hear your doing well though x
    • Posted

Glad consultant apologised. Shouldn't have rushed like that because from what I have read and heard the early days are key to whether there is a good or over long repair.  Hope you start to turn round. I am still only in the very early stages yet but so far so good and at least my work aren't pushing me to think about returning - YET.  I am afrain that will be a long way off because most of my job is quite physical and you need to be 100% fit.  Anyway, chin up and here's to our recovery
    • Posted

Today's a bad day Chris. I'm struggling so much with NWB as I don't have the upper body or core muscles. My cast feels loose and I know at times I'm putting some weight through it.

Onwards and upwards I guess

😞

• Posted

Yes can appreciate the NWB thing. I have reasonable upper body strength but to achieve 100% NWB will involve being bedridden  At some point you have to lean on the boot when moving around.  Its a shame you appear to have lost time early on through different advice but like you said its one of those things that you have to keep persevering with. I would suggest you had a word with someone regarding your loose cast though.  Keep your chin up girl
    • Posted

Going up at 12.30 Chris to get my plaster redone.

It's just so to deal with and guess I am just having a bad day.

Am trying to build up my upper body by doing some exercises

Jen

X

• Posted

Hi guys,

Hope everyone is doing as well as they can be. Well I'm now 5 weeks post ruptured Achilles. Went into the boot on the 9th April and was so much better being able to weightbare. I'm using crutches outside and a wheelchair for long distances but I don't think I'm helping myself as im not using my crutches indoors. I've had quite a lot of pain in my ankle. It's just so much easier not to use the crutches. My mood is lifted a bit. Still waiting to hear from physio. 

Well just an update and like I said hope you're all doing ok

Jen

xxx

• Posted

Hey guys,

well, 11 weeks post rupture. Cast off at 4 weeks, boot off at 6 weeks and now mobilising around the house independent and crutches outside. Doing my exercises and stretches but I'm in so much pain and the swelling is awful. It's hard to massage your own back of the calf. Will return back to work on 17th June on a phased return which is fine but consultant still wants me on crutches. I've not driven yet but hoping to next week. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.