Omperazole

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with GERD in Oct, felt like I was having a heart attack, therefore I went to the ER and thats when I was informed my illness. Ive been on so many antibotics its insane. Ive been a healthy person my entire life. This whole ordeal has rocked my world. Never experienced anxiety a day in my life until being on multiple antibotics. I later was diagnosed with Hyplori and gallstones. Its been one problem after another, have seen multiple GI doctors feels like Im running in circles with no answers. I later decided to get off omprazole due to anxiety, headaches, dizzyness, nervousness, tingling, shivering, joint pain, thoughts of death, depression and the list goes on and on. Now Im experiening a burning throat and mouth with facial pain which is probably a nerve problem. Will it ever end!? These meds can be the death of you.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

There is another topic on this one on this forum, everything you describe so many others have experienced, they put my mother on these and they stopped her other meds that she really needed working! she was so ill, i typed in the Omperazole along with her other one and was shocked what i read, told her to stop taking them and went to her doctors with her, doctor looked it up too after i showed her on my phone what id found, she also read it and said they would remove them from her repeat prescription. As you say these meds can be the death of us, my mum may ahve been teh next one too.

Sue

• Posted

My own experience with Omeprazole was not a good one. I have a hiatus hernia. I experienced many of the side effects that others have described on these boards and when I stopped taking it the symptoms I had in the first place came back with a vengence. I feel as though my insides were burning and raw. It was incredibly debilitating. I resolved that I would try to find a way to cope with the hh and acid naturally. Through trial and error I have discovered that the absolutely worse foods for triggering acid atttacks are onions, yams, celery and chocolate plus caffinated tea and coffee. Through eliminating these from my diet, the symptoms and pain have gone. Worth a try for anyone trying to avoid having to take this drug.
    • Posted

Thanks for the list of culprits that can aggrivate, when i wonder will they remove this awfull medication for good.

Sue

• Posted

Susan, I imagine it's a necessary medication if, say, someone has an ulcer and needs a short-term reduction in acid to help the healing process but I think taking it long term for reflux/hiatus hernia is perhaps not such a good idea (although I imagine there may be many people reading the board who do find success with it). I'm no scientist but to block/reduce acid production is going to stop the digestive system working properly and if that happens then it's going to have a knock on effect into other processes in the body so the idea of having to take this drug long term worries me. Avoiding onions is the toughest thing. It can make eating out difficult as it's at the base of the so many recipes plus onions are good nutritionally but it's the lesser of two evils and the vitamins, minerals, iron and fibre can be found in other things.

I also wanted to say in response to the OP, that I also experienced some of the symptons they describe, particularly the facial pain and tingling. I suspect this was due to Vagus nerve irritation which seems to be part  and parcel of upper GI problems but again, I have found that since eliminating trigger foods, this too has gone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.