undiagnosed periodic muscle weakness

Posted , 6 users are following.

3 years ago i developed muscle weakness in my legs that meant i could not take a normal step or raise my leg off the bed,after about 2 weeks this started affecting my arms as well meaning i could not lift my arms above my head, the weakness is periodic and last for anything from 5 mins to 6 days. it varies in strength, when its at its worst i cannot walk at all. the longest i have been symptom free is 5 months. there is no pain involve at all. i have seen various neurologists and had MRIs and EMGs, my reflexes remain intact, i have also seen a pyschiatrist who said i need to see a neurologist! please can anyone help before i loose my job

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Have you had a test for Vitamin B12 deficiency ?
    • Posted

hi Barbara, i`ve had blood tests for B12 a few times, they have always come back normal, i thought it might be that too. thanks for your reply
  • Posted

if al the tests are fine then there is probably no need to worry.. may be it could be somatoform disorder
    • Posted

That's a bit aloof." No need to worry"... symptoms are a worry.!

Even if it is somatoform it is still impacting seriously on Neil's life.

What about seeing a Neuropsychologist Neil.

Somotisation is a dangerous lable. Not to be slapped on lightly.

And ifit fits serious supports & helps are needed.A person should not be left..." not to worry"....

• Posted

Hello have you had any progress? I've had random muscle weakness affecting my walking the past 15 years. I saw a pysio a month ago and for the first time I was unable to raise my left leg when lying down. Something I've never noticed before. I'm hypothyroid but the weakness has never been fully explained. Just keep eating healthy and strengthening excersize when you can.
  • Posted

We seam a lost bunch let down really as it has no real explination but NHS put a label called Somatoform disorder. Work has refused medical retirement but I've been on no pay for 7 months now.

I've had it 6 yrs now sometimes sleeping for 1/2 to 5 days at a time (even at the beginning on holiday I slept for 2 1/2 days Wife was going bonkers), broken foot, broken wrist 24/7 fasciculation in my lower legs that is hidiously painful at times. I struggle with stairs lifting arms and it's getting worse

What I can't understand is why do my muscles look like there is aliens having a party in them but it's classed as a mental Somatoform disorder (but my muscles are nearly all gone-real sad I believe cause work ain't bothered at all in trying to understand and yet others get the world for smaller problems - Grrrr

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.