Myomectomy, still feeling pain 3 weeks after

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello, It's 3 weeks today since I've done my myomectomy. I'm still a little swollen and I get either sharp shooting pains or what feels like cramps in the area. I think maybe it's my bladder that's cramping ? because I feel a slight discomfort when I pee. I still get tired very easily, even if all I'm doing is walking around the house. I lost 1.3 litres of blood and my blood count's lot less than what it should be. Is that the reason why ? I was supposed to do a blood count on Monday 23rd but I didnt go because I wanted the boyfriend to come with me to bolster me. My biggest fibroid was almost the size of a football and the second biggest was the size of a grapefruit. I got lots of rest last week but I still feel tired..I don't understand why. I'm feeling just as awful as I did after the surgery. I thought the tiredness and pain would be gone by now. I have to go back to work tomorrow but my doctor said 6 weeks. I don't want to lose my job. My boyfriend says I'm fine. It's week 3 now. Also,my left lymph gland/groin hurts sometimes. I'm back to feeling the same discomfort as I did after the myomectomy. The scar area is a mixture of numbness and pain. Is this normal ? My sides and back hurt too. I've been using my abdominl muscles to get up, which I didn't do before, (I was using my hands to push up and my boyfriend would help me to get up), so now my abs feel sore. Is that okay ? My doctor had said that if my blood count doesnt go back up to normal I may have to do a blood transfusion. I don't want to do that. I've stopped taking the pain medication Voltaren, because I don't want to get addicted.

Thanks for any help offered : )

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there,

I have not have myomectomy, but i totally understand how you are feeling, I have 2 10 cms fibroids and several smaller, I had a blood transfusion 2 weeks ago. My period is still coming and It did come 2 weeks ago, today I am bleeding quite heavy and am very sore. I think 3 weeks is still soon for you to feel 100% , just breath, stay calm, think positive, smile even thought don't feel like it,and think that the nightmare is left behind. I am sure you will be feeling amazing soon. If you notice something wrong do not hesitate and call your gyn.

Sending healing energy to your way, best wishes!!

• Posted

Hi Natasha, i had my myomectomy 2.5 weeks ago, i also lost a litre of blood during the surgery and also had a period just after the op. My largest fib was orange size, So I REALLY do know how you feel. I think to go back to work tomorow is way to soon. I was told i would need 6 week recovery, with at least 4 weeks before going back to work, as long as its a seated job. Can you not take any holiday time off, i understand you do not want to lose your job, but worse if you go back to work and cause more pain to yourself.

I to have the odd sharp pain and my tummy is still swollen and have a numb feeling also, i think this is normal. I get the sharp pain when i need to pass wind or poo. My back is also really hurting but has started to feel better, i have been sleeping on my back which is not comfortable. I have only just started sleeping on my side for a few hours each night. 

I had a blood transfusion a few months ago, its painless and you will feel less tired once you have it done.

With the size of your fib, you need to still  be resting, my letter from the doctor for 2-4 weeks advises: decrease rest period and increase walking distance, light housework and avoid standing for long periods of time, NO lifting, pushing or pulling

• Posted

forgot to mention i am taking 2 ferrous sulphate tablets to bring my iron level back up , but make sure you take laxatives as the iron makes you constipated.
    • Posted

Thank you. I was supposed to have done a blood count test on March 23, which would have given enough time for the results to come back, so my doctor could further advise me. Especially about how much more time I needed away from work. But my boyfriend , who was supposed to go with me was behaving very badly, we had a huge blowout so I didn't get to go that day. We eventually went the Friday. Well, the boyfriend kept asking me and asking me when was I going back to work, and he said that I was fine and that I'd be fine and remember that my money was running out. So I went back to work the Monday. I don't know if it was a wise decision, as my pains  now come all afternoon and night instead of just in the night and my lower abdomen looks more swollen to me. My blood count results should have been back before Good Friday but they got to my doc just yesterday ! I have an appointment to see her so I'll find out then how healthy i am. I'll have to confess that I've been going back to work, I think she may be quite upset with me for that. Doctors don't like it when you don't follow their orders because if you collapse and die, people blame them. I have the most excruciating back pains in the morning. Sometimes that's what wakes me up. Maybe it's because I sleep only on my back ? I don't want to get a blood transfusion because needles and drips are very painful and terrifying for me. Thanks for the tips : ) My doctor had told me to take HB Fortex Multi Haematinic Capsules, which are iron tablets, and they contain softeners.
    • Posted

I was very scared of the blood transfusion but it was not bad at all, just like having blood taken really but if you are taking iron you should be ok. Sad to hear your boyfriend is not being understanding espeocially when you said you went through this to please him. I understand you need the money, but doing to much to soon will just mean makng yourself more unwell and needed more time to recover. 

Have you had a period yet, I bleed after the operation, which was exactly one month after i stopped the Esyma so doc said the bleed was probably a period. its now been 4 weeks and was due a period but nothing, how bout you ?

• Posted

Hi Natasha

Three weeks is probably to early and the amount of blood you lost is alot. Could be low in iron and plalets I under stand about the job issue. But your health is just has important go bk and see your Gp to let him or her know how your feeling. I had an embolisation done and it made me out of wack for couple of months n bruised badly has he had to put pressure on my groin artery.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi Natasha,

How are you feeling after the embolization? when did you have it? I know that one can know the results just after 6 months, I mean the decrese in bleeding and less cramps and less bloated: and that the fibroids are going to be still there, dead though. 

So, how was that option for you?

thank you in advance for your time and willingness to share

• Posted

sorry i made a mistake, the questions is for you kizzy21 
    • Posted

Hi undecided

I made the decision to have the embolisation has I didn.t want to have my womb removed and go into early Menopuse. It worked for me stop my periods with in couple of months. With odd very light spotting during the first year, which only lasted a day. My cricket ball sized fibroid has melted my gyno discripitive wording. This came to light last month when another fibroid was found on the front wall of my uterus. Clever little devils these fibroids. I'm know made a decision to opt for Esmya a drug that has good effect for some women to shrink fibroids.But is taken for 3 mths only at the moment unless gyno will give a repeat 3 months depending on circumstances.

I felt alot better after the embolisation and my womb intact. I had mine done in 2012 after few months I noticed my tummy going down. But with being wrong side of 40 I went into early menopuse has the blood supply to the womb is blocked off. I hope you to find a solution.

• Posted

Thank you Kizzy. I had a blood count test done two weeks ago, the results should have been sent back to my doctor's office from over a week ago but it arrived just yesterday ! Somebody kept asking me and asking me when was I going back to work, and he said that I was fine and that I'd be fine and remember that my money was running out. So I've been back at my job for the past two weeks. I don't know why I listened to him, he doesn't know squat. My pain level is back up to an all time high, my tummy looks more swollen to me, and I have terrible back pains in the morning . Maybe it's because I'm sleeping on my back only. My left lymph gland/groin hurts all the time. Is that normal ? 
  • Posted

Hey this may help.  Cinnamon Reduces Heavy Menstrual Bleeding

Cinnamon has been shown to be a useful tool for women with heavy menstrual bleeding associated with endometriosis, uterine fibroids, adenomyosis and primary menorrhagia. Cinnamon has been used traditionally for hundreds of years to stop excessive menstrual bleeding, hemorrhage during childbirth and miscarriage, and today for any fertility condition where heavy menstruation is present. Cinnamon taken internally may curb heavy bleeding.

• Posted

Thank you so much for the replies and well wishes everyone. I think I'll go back to my doctor tomorrow and also ask for a letter to get some extra time off from work. The past 3 weeks that I've been using for recovery are actually my vacation leave -I think I've used up all my sick days already, so that's why I'm so afraid to ask for more time off from work. But health does come first ! I'll keep my fingers crossed that they don't replace me  : )
  • Posted

Hiya, I think you're recovering well and the tiredness you're feeling is due to losing blood. Take your time to heal slowly. I would say avoid using abdominal muscles unil 6 weeks is up. Thats was what I did. I avoided it. I also used a pillow around the area when couging or laughing.

Its been 9 months since my open myomectomy and i still have some numbness so dont worry its all normal. WELL DONE you for going for the OP. You wont regret it.

• Posted

Thank you Missy. I have been avoiding using my abdominal muscles out of fear that I'd burst my stitches open. Maybe that's why I have back pain now because my back muscles do all the work that my abdominal muscles should be doing, lol ! You know, I really did the operation to please my boyfriend.. : (

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.