Colonoscopy and the days afterwards

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had my first colonscopy a couple of days ago to try to diagnose my irregular and loose bowl motions.

Although I wasn't looking forward to the preparation or the procedure, neither were as bad as feared largely due to advice given here. The effects of Moviprep were as expected and sudocream and baby wipes make this part tolerable, (we have young children and therefore both items to hand but in any event don't skip on this). The colonoscopy was carried out without any sedatives or pain killers and was mildly uncomfortable - we agreed that I could have gas and air /sedation as needed.

So the above was unpleasant of course but necessary for diagnosis if only to rule out what not wrong.

The surprise for me and what I hadn't expected at all was that I didn't feel starving hungary or short of energy after 24 hours of no food, in fact I felt healthier. Where usually there was some minor background discomfort in my digestive system after the Moviprep everything felt relaxed and healthy.

Two days later having eaten sensibily I'm back to feeling generally bloated - it has convinced me I felt better with an empty stomach etc.

Has anyone else felt like this and does this in itself lead to some sort of diagnosis?

Thanks for reading, I hope it prompts some discussion.

Mark

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It's my 2nd day after my colonoscopy and I too feel bloated and gassy after eating normally and am getting quite a few stomach cramps - bad enough that I don't feel up to working. I'm also experiencing nausea and diarrhoea with it.

I had sedation and felt quite good directly after the procedure (suspect it was the sedation - made me feel like I was a little drunk). I too wasn't nearly as hungry afterwards as I thought I'd be, Though I can't say I felt healthier after the Moviprep - that made me feel real bad and I suspect still is.

Don't know if any of this lends itself to a diagnosis - I'd gone for a colonoscopy due to experiencing intermittent extreme cramp-like pain in my bottom (sometimes lasting up to 14 hours), usually a couple of hours after going to the toilet but not always.

All in all I found the preparations for the procedure were horrible, the procedure itself was a breeze (mainly thanks to excellent nurses) and the after-effects almost as unpleasant as the preparations. Hopefully my body will sort itself out over the course of the next couple of days and if I don't post again - that's exactly what's happened

• Edited

bmp01 - I feel exactly the same - my bowel etc was never as settled as the time between moviprep flushing me out, and eating again! The key thing with moviprep is to stay very close to the loo and have some first aid cream or similar as you will get a chafed bum from the wiping - the description of 'watery diarrhoea' is an understatement - it was like a water jet!

I have eaten again since, and back to feeling a bit 'odd' - the doctor did say to me to eliminate certain types of food from my diet, one by one for 3 days at a time, and then see if there is any difference - the reason for 3 days is to allow for any remaining traces of that food stuff to be entirely eliminated.

The moviprep does really clear you out (the doc was quite impressed by how clean I was!) but the thought if it now makes me feel sick!

For those wondering how to get rid of the gas - have s eat on teh loo and bear down to get rid of the majority of it - don't over strain though! For the last few bits - try some buscopan or wind-eze tablets as these may help - I even found that adopting a praying position (on knees, head touching floor, bum in air) really helped to get rid of the gas and relax my muscles

• Edited

I had a colonoscopy on Friday - ie 3 days ago to elminte the possibility of bowl cancer and to look understand further my irregular bowl movements. The whole process was fine and the hospital great - my bowels feel fine...its my stomach that is really complaining now - I agree that with no food I felt good and didnt feel hungry after fasting for 24 hours. However, now I feel like my food is not digesting and have acid reflux and have lost my appetite completely?? 
    • Edited

Netty50-

This really is the best way to describe this. I to have been feeling the same way and don't know what will help. How did you get relief?

• Edited

hello im new...

i had a colonoscopy friday... having issues of pain in my lower stomache... nautious, no appetite... have not passed gas or had a bowel movement...not feeling well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.