Amitriptyline For Headaches & Facial Pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi Guys, 

I'm pretty new to this so here goes - I have been prescribed Amitriptyline for headaches & facial pains/tingles. After alot of research online my symptoms are along the lines of someone suffering Trigeminal Neuralgia (TN - I also posted a discussion in the Trigeminal Neuralgia Section on here) has anyone else on here been prescribed this drug for this? I have went from a dose of 10mg - 50mg within 6 weeks and still suffering the pains in my face, also along with the pains I have flushing on my cheek/ear/neck and on very back occassions i have this appear on my chest and back too. Has anyone else been prescibed this drug for these symptoms and also have they worked? 

Amanda 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello amanda. I was prescribed Amitriptyline some years ago after suffering the same symptoms as you. I can't however remember what dose I took but it did work. Took about 6 weeks if I remember correctly.
    • Posted

Hi Matron, thank you for your response are you still taking it now or did your symptons go away?

• Posted

Hello amanda. No my symptoms did go away. I took it for about a year or so. I am taking Amitriptyline again but for a different reason. About 6 years ago I had a problem with my neck. It was still and very painful. My GP gave me 3 doses of Diazepam to relax the neck muscles and started me on 20mgs of Amitriptyline at night. I'm still taking it. Hope your symptoms clear. It is a very painful condition.
    • Posted

Thanks Matron, I hope your symptoms clear this time. Fingers crossed this helps me too.

• Posted

Hi Amanda , I have had pretty much the same thing as you and have gone down the same route of thinking neuralgia. I also suffer headaches and have been told mine is due to tight muscles in neck/ jaw area which then refers pain to the areas of the face/ head you mention. I also take amitriptyline and it has helped but not solved the issued for me. Still looking for an answer but think it may have a hormonal connection. I am 50 so it would make sense xx
    • Posted

Hi Mooma ,and anyone else who takes amitryptyline. I was taking this drug for a few years, It helped  with my symptons for quite a while. I was fatigued and depresseddue to M.E.  But it stopped working and when I tried to come off it my life was hell. It took months when I was so filled with anxiety sleep deprived that I thought I.d go mad.

Dont wantto scare anyone=But I probably have! sorry . However I was on it for  very long time and was on a high dose so I know now that that was most probably why I had such bad withdrawal symptoms.

I.m just saying'be careful'

• Posted

Thanks Kittey, Yes ive been on it a while now but did come off it for a couple of months last year. I was ok once I was off it but coming off was a bit of a challenge! and it didn't affect my sleep really but the pain was less manageable without it. I only take 30 mg and the maximum I have taken over the last 3 yrs is 50mg. Any more than that and I feel worse not better. Xx
  • Posted

Hi Amanda I have just been told I have atypical facial pain, but confused as I thought it was blocked sinuses. I have sharp pain in the sinuses up my nose, my eyes hurt, I feel like I have pinched in the face , as I feel my face is swollen. I have just been put on 10mg amytripteline  with the intention to increase dosage in 2 weeks, my face feels the same but just really tired. I'm not convinced this is what I have. I wasn't depressed but starting to feel like it now. I have read people with atypical facial pain are usually depressed and its physiological. Do you think it is? 
    • Posted

Hi Lisa, 

Sorry im just getting back to you now, I certianly feel for you. My issues have been going on since January this year but think its been longer than that. I was at the dental hospital today and spoke with a dental surgeon he had recieved a very lengthy report from my dentist who has been fantastic lately because of the amount of pain i have been in. Anyway back to today, basically the oral surgeon has diagnosed me with TMJD and wants me to increase my amitriptyline to 75 or 100mg in the evenings - i seem to only sleep aided with these as the pain is just constant. He also reffered me to a therapist to helps with TMJD she explained exaclty how the muscles work in your face and basically described it as having constant cramp in your face, everything she was saying is how I have felt and i will be honest with you this has had a massive effect on my day to day life and i at times felt no one understood what i was going through to the point of me feeling depressed and my relationship with my partner becoming very strained and almost over. I have attached a link below ... it may not be what you have but it may be. Do you clench or grind your teeth?

http://docraminmehregan.blogspot.co.uk/2013_12_01_archive.html

Hope this helps, i feel i have rambled on a bit but its so nice to actually have a diagnosis after so long. 

If you have any more ?'s im here to help. 

Ax

• Posted

Hi Lisa, 

I have replied to you but the comment has been moderated as i have put a link in it. Hopefully you'll get it soon. 

If you need to ask any questions i'll help as much as i can. I've just been diagnosed with TMJD. I go into more detail on my previous message.

Ax

• Posted

hi Hun thankyou for that, that's great news that you have some validation for what's wrong with you, I have read your link which helped me understand more. It's fine you was not rambling better than a two word convo😁. God 10mg Amitriptyline makes me feel awful, how did you feel at first?  75mg my god I'd probably be unconscious lol. I find I clench my jaw at night and didn't really take much notice until now. Oh dear seems like a never ending journey, makes me want to cry xxx
    • Posted

Hi Lisa,

When i first started i was on 10mg and at first it knocked me out and I struggled to get up in the mornings but like everything u build up a tolerance to it. 75mg I struggle to get up in the morning but it doesn't knock me out at night anymore so no doubt i'll be on 100mg soon. Have you spoke with your dentist about the problems your getting?

Amanda x

• Posted

no nit been to dentist but might have to give it a try, how you doing??
    • Posted

Hi Lisa,

Im sore today ... But i just keep plodding away. I get very irritable easily and i have noticed i get anxious alot!

How are u keeping today, are the tablets helping?

Ax

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.