Jason Hargrave

Posted , 17 users are following.

Anyone used this private surgeon in London ?Trying to find reviews and testimonials.

0 likes, 58 replies

58 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Grant

I had my bunion and hammer toe done 4weeks ago by Mr Hargrave. He used the scarf method. He has many years of experience on NHS and has also worked inAmerica and Germany. I had my consultation at 9 Harley St. And my op at Weymouth street hospital .

Personally I am very happy with my op. He has done a very good job. I am walking with no pain very little swelling and wearing trainers after just 4 weeks. He is very realistic and tells you exactly what to expect. There are some reviews on line as well. A friend of mine had her bunions done as well as shortening of toes and was very happy and that's how he was recommended to me. I think he is great.

• Posted

I just posted a website address but it has gone to be moderated.

Just type Jason E Hargrave and you get a list of website. Some reviews are from colleagues.

Also check cosmetic foot surgery at Harley street foot and ankle centre where you can see before and after pictures and testemonials.

I have posted my before and after pictures on this forum as well you can check it out.

• Posted

Star,

Just looked online most links refer to his cosmetic surgery. Quoting news papers and various other media. Is this worrying or do most surgeons also do cosmetic foot surgery? I know he has a Bunion website and another website that suggest he does more conventional surgery. Though can't find reviews.

• Posted

He is a podiatrist so he only does foot and ankle surgery no other cosmetic surgery . This site does not let me post any websites . Try this.

Go to London foot surgery at Harley street foot and ankle centre.

• Posted

Star,

Found some of the reviews on his website. Thing that stands out is that it looks like he moderates his own website. It's good to get an independent veiw like yours, hoped there would be some website out there that did I dependant reviews.

Maybe time to start a thread as to recommended surgeons and locations.

• Posted

Yes that's s good idea.

I can only speak about my own experience with Mr Hargrave which has been very satisfactory .

I had none of the complications discussed on this forum. He had always been on hand when I had concerns and questions? Even when he was away on holiday he kept in touch by email and reassuring and advising me. His secretary Jacqueline is a gem, you can email and call her with questions . She is very helpful. Good luck who ever you choose.

• Posted

Star sorry I meant his cosmetic foot surgery. Also just wondered if this was normal and should I be concerned if he does these types of procedures for cosmetic reasons.?
    • Posted

I believe most of the podiatrist in the private sector do cosmetic foot surgery as well. It's basically shortening of extra long toes etc.

I had my bunion on both feet done and had hammer toe on second toe of the right foot he shortened the second toe on my left foot as well so both feet looks the same , so I suppose that can be counted as cosmetic surgery on the left foot.

• Posted

Also go to

Hcahospitals/ Jason Hargrave and there is more info about him.

• Posted

Star,

Wow I have just seen your before and after pictures. Both feet together and hammer toe your brave!

What procedure did you use for the hammer toes?

Would you recommend both feet together in hindsight?

• Posted

Hi Grant

I opted to have both feet done together as I didn't want to have two lots of 6 to 8 weeks off work etc.

I found the first 3 weeks quite hard as I couldn't do much and had to rely on my husband for shopping , cooking etc. after the 4th week I have turned a corner and went food shopping the other day , it was tiring and by the time I came home all I wanted to do was sit with my feet elevated and ice pack. But I have been walking around the house , cooking , cleaning and of course resting in between.

For me personally it worked better to have both done at the same time. Some doctors don't like to do both feet together. It all depends if you are prepared for it.

I thought I just get both done and get it over with.

• Posted

Oh forgot to say for the hammer toe he released the tightened tendon and has put a small screw in. I didn't have any wires sticking out, so recovery was quicker and I didn't have to have a cast either.
    • Posted

Star can you still bend your hammer toe or was it a fused procedure ?
    • Posted

Yes I can bend it. It was not fused. It's slightly stiff but I am doing excercises , bending the toe by hand and my brain. It is getting more and more flexible. Initially it would not hit the floor but now when I stand all the toes hit the floor.
    • Posted

You say it's not fused but they shortened the toes and put a screw in them. When they shortened the toe where did they remove the bone from?

• Posted

The surgery involves removing a portion of the bone at the contracted joint, to realign the toe.

I had a small screw put in to keep the bones together. I am able to bend my toe.

• Posted

Grant

there are different methods of hammer toe surgery . There is flexible hammer toe surgery, fixed hammer toe surgery .  

Fusion can also be used to treat the fixed hammertoe. In this procedure, the ligaments and tendons are cut to help straighten the toe. The ends of the bone are cut and the toe is straightened. Pins, screws or other implants can be used to keep the toe straight while the bone ends heal together.

fepends which method your surgeon is using.

Depends which one you have.

• Posted

All sounds very complex and you obviously have a good understanding. I was under the impression that a small joint was removed and pins held the bone together hence fused.

Hope all is healing well

• Posted

Hi Grant

I am going to see Mr Hargrave on the 15th for my 6week check and X-rays . I will ask him exactly what he has done and let you know . I was under the impression that when fused you can't bend your toe anymore. Anyway I will check and let you know exactly what procedure had he used.

• Posted

Have been following this thread, how did your 6week check up go and did you find out what he did?
    • Posted

Hi Kelly

I had my six weeks check yesterday.

I had X-Rays done which showed the bones are healing well and they are aligned . Mr Hargrave was very happy with my progress. There is still some swelling but not as much as he expected. I am wearing trainers and sandals now and walk mostly without pain expect sometimes a twinge or two . I am to increase my activities and can cycle.

He said that he has removed a portion of one of the toe's small joint and has inserted a small screw. He showed me the screw which was in 2 pieces that connected to each other .

No pins were used . That way my toe joints move and are not rigid. The screws remain in-situ.

I am doing some excercises and bending of toes and massaging to loosen up the joints . All in all I can say that I am very happy with the op and my progress. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Great idea Grant to start a thread.  I am British but live in Australia. I have a bunion on my right foot, it is getting worse each year. I am thinking of coming over to UK for my op as I am very interested in the Boesch Technique which done by keyhole surgery and a lot quicker recovery. The surgeon is Dr. Dirk Nowak in Brighton. There is no one in Australia that uses this minimally invasive procedure. I would love to hear from people in U.K. that have had this bunion op.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.