MISERABLE

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am miserable. I have had globus for one month, and pretty much diagnosed myself after having and EGD that showed nothing! I was convinced i was going crazy. The lump stricture feeling started ONE month ago, and other than 3 days over a weekend, i have had the feeling non stop. IT DOES feel better at night when i lie down OR when i am working out. (wierd). My globus is now there all the time otherwise, and has a CRESCENDO affect. It rises a few times every 5 mins. I have NEVER had GERD and have an iron stomach with hx of constipation. There is no reflux or acid that i can feel. I havent changed my diet (i am trying to lose weight and eat about the SAME thing everyday for each meal-and have for months). I am sick of myself-so i know my husband and co-workers are as well. I have become and introvert at work and dont want to do anything or go out to eat-though eating makes it feel better as does drinking!. I would give just about ANYTHING to have this go away. I am not a whiner-i had 2 kids with no pain meds for Cripes sake! I can see why people would go crazy with this. I have heard that sometimes it is associated with anxiety. I am a high strung person with some stress at work, but never heard this so it isnt like i am a hypchondriac who "got" this after i heard of it... i wish there was a cure. I am soooo tiredddd of this.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I feel your pain I've been suffering with globus on and off for 2 years! It's horrible sometimes mine feels like I'm being strangled the feeling you get when you are going to cry 'lump in the throat' I went to ENT being treated for acid reflux with omerprazole, but like you say never had acid before. It's defibatly caused by anxiety/stress I went on antidepressants for it and it did help for a bit. I came off them and it came back! Nothing really helps but if you try not to worry about it, it will go after a while. X
  • Posted

Hi Juli, I just posted about how I overcame my globus problem. I don't know if it will help you but worth a go. I felt like I was going to have mine forever and was exhausted by it and very depressed. It's a simple stretching exercise of the neck to do many times a day for a week. My post is called my story and how I beat globus sensation
    • Posted

Hi 4amy75782,

Not come back in 2/3 weeks.

Do you still have yours?

• Posted

When mine first started I would say it lasted 2 weeks and was very servere. Like you said I thought it was something really serious. It then went away for quite a few months and then randomly came back, not as bad and only lasted for a week, but it still keeps popping up. I just try to get on with things, there is nothing else I can do, there is no treatment it's just anxiety so I'm trying to tackle that. I also smoke which probably doesn't help.
  • Posted

Hi Juli. I thoroughly sympathize! It's been two months for me, and it got so bad that the only meal I was capable of choking down was breakfast, first thing in the morning. The lack of nourishment just worsened my health (and physical and mental) that much more.

Have you considered antidepressants? I started taking citalopram to lessen anxiety and within hours, I felt a difference in my throat (and here I was, convinced it WASN'T anxiety that was screwing me up!). These pills take weeks to really kick in, so I can't endorse this treatment entirely yet.

Before the meds, I tried basic relaxing techniques for myself (deep breathing, sticking to a sleep schedule, journalling) and it gave me some respite. Anxiety has a lot to do with globus, so it seems that you have to deal with that first.

• Posted

Hi juli,

i have done a lot of research on this. Developed this sensation earlier this year myself when changing jobs. Had all the tests etc. my theory is that it is hormone related, and this is how your body is now reacting to anxiety tho it never did this before. My situation exactly the same. Certain foods etc definitely make it worse. I take it from your nameyou are around 50? Same . Just a thought. I have had mine at various levels for 3 months. I have made diet imiprivements so that is good. If it continues I will ask for low dose hrt to see if that helps. It is so irritating but I am trying not to pay attention to it. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.