Does anyone have more than 10 Fibroids???

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, 

Around 8/9 years ago, I was told I had two fibroids, the largest measuring around 2cms. Fast forward to present day with tummy pains every day, I got fed and decided to go see my GP a few weeks back to see if he could refer me for a scan. I had actually not given my fibroids any thought over the years so was shocked when after my ultrasound, I was told I had multipled fibroids and the largest measured 6cms. I was referred to a gynae who then suggested surgery but said she needed me to have an MRI to determine exact location. Two weeks ago I went back for the results. As I stepped into my gynae's office, she exclaimed 'You have so many!'  I sat down with open mouthed as she told me I had 14 fribroids.  FOURTEEN and the largest measures 10cm not 6! The rest range from just under 1cm to 4 cms!

Naturally, due to my age and the fact I have no kids, she is going with open myomectomy which will take place next Weds 15/4

My question is... has anyone here ever had this many fibroids? It just seems like so many sad

Now that I look back... all the symptoms I've been experiencing... the tiredness.. it all makes sense! I guess I am lucky I found out now. Who knows how much bigger these tumors would have grown!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi & sorry for that shock,yes many people hv multiple fibroids,

in me was told they are many not counted bcoz they r MANY. I had 3 only 4years ago but they multiply.

Success in your decision

• Posted

My last MRI said too many to count. Warning, a myomectomy will not prevent fibroids from growing back.
  • Posted

Sure as Astropuppy has said,they wil still grow back but i think its good decision to do myomectomy and try a baby or IVF immediately after healing as u said u dont have one yet.

You can ask people with this experience to share what they did to get baby before the fibroids grew back.though i hear it can depend with age..gd luck

• Posted

If I was in a relationship I would but sadly, Im single. thank you though
    • Posted

Yes thats possible. .my sister was operated on last year with 61 fibroids..tiny ones and a few big ones! Her tummy was like that of a 9 months mama.

me too have multiple, the gynas cant even see anything throu the uterus..I have an operation in june/july! Am 34 no kids hoping all wil be okey

• Posted

wow and I thought 14 was bad!!! goodness! Sorry for your sister, hope she is ok and hope you will be ok too! 
  • Posted

14 sounds a lot! i get results of my MRI tomorrow so then I will know exactly how many and how big they are.  So far just been told have multipe.  Good luck on wed. you got that appointment nice and quick
    • Posted

Nothing compared to 61 I guess in the previous reply but scary nonetheless to think there's so many in me! sad 

When they told me multiple I was just thinking maybe around 5. 

yes... decided to go through my work medical insurance hence the speed! 

• Posted

I am 43 and had an endometrial ablation 6 years ago for a thickened lining of the womb that was making me bleed alot and anemic, when i was ill before xmas and sent for an urgent scan as my gp could feel a mass!! i found out my womb was now huge like a 5-6 month pregnancy as was pressing on my bladder, i have to empty my bladder frequesntly.  I also found out from the scan i had multiple fibroids, they did not count them and 1 large one that can be felt.  I was shocked as i have no lining in my womb and have a tiny menstral bleed each month i could have grown so many fibroids, i get bad pain, and i don't like the fact my womb is so big, as i have 2 children and my womb never seemed to go back to size after my second pregnancy i worry it will prolapse or make me incontinent as i always feel i need to empty my bladder.  I am having a hysterctomy, I know there are options to just remove fibroids and leave the womb but not sure how this affects fertility, as after my ablation i was told it would be difficult to get pregnant and not to as you have a high risk of eptopic pregnancy.  If you want children i would discuss all options, poss even have some eggs frozen before you have any prodedures.  I was having a drug called esmya to help shrink my fibroids before surgery, i had bad side effect and i am not taking it any more, i am just hoping my surgery will be able to be done keyhole, you may be able to have this medication, you can have 13 weeks course which can be repeated once more, it could poss help you till you have anything permenant done and you can find out and make plans ref to your fertility.  Wishing you luck.
    • Posted

Hi Sharon, 

I am having my op next week on Weds so too late for me to take any meds but on reading about them, the general consensus was that they didn't really work. 

Also, the reason I'm not having the ablation is that it can affect fertility. My consultant is going to perform an open myomectomy making an incision above my bikini line and fingers cross she won't then have to perform a hysterectomy if there are any complications. 

Thanks so much! 

• Posted

Fibroids don't always affect fertility. It depends on where they are. I've heard of women carrying pregnancies to term with huge fibroids in their womb at the same time.
    • Posted

sorry, I mean my consultant told me ablation is not a good choice for me smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.