Atorvastatin

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I have High but controlled Blood Pressure, and my Dr Recenlty been put on this statin only 10mg for high cholesterol and already feeling some side affects, Muscle aches, Tiredness and feeling weak, so I've now stopped taking them as from to-day and after looking at loads of info and other reviews I feel that this is the right thing to do, But I do have a Question can these statins also surpress the Immune System ??

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mark

Statins do indeed surpress the immune system. According to many studies statins interfere with your disease fighting- cells ability to kill bacteria.

so statins have been found to adversely surpress our immune system, amongst many other terrible side effects.

• Posted

I really didn't know that Sonya and I'm off to do some more googling right now.    This would be another reason I'm glad I don't take them any more, as I have COPD and can't afford to get colds and flu because of the danger of pneumonia

Once again this forum does its job of sharing important info - thanks!

• Posted

Hi Sonya,

Thanks for the info I thought I read it somewhere that they do but couldn't remember, I've also read that the Doctors have recently been given the OK to perscibe statins to more ppl as they have become alot cheaper, I think I will start to post my links as to where the info comes from, much obliged Sonya.

• Posted

I think you'll find the moderators won't let you post links on here.  I googled it & there does seem to be a lot of evidence that statins adversely affect the immune system:  another reason I'm glad I don't take them any more because with COPD I don't want to run the risk of pneumonia.

I had one bout of it requiring hospitalisation when I was on statins and another bout recently some months after stopping statins, which cleared up with antibiotics without hospitalisation.   That's no evidence the statins had anything to do with it, but I'm not risking it.

• Posted

I wish we were allowed to post links, it's a fantastic way of sharing information and it allows people to read it for themselves and make their own decisions. 

There are so many studies that show varying side effects of statins which I'd love to post links to. Never mind I'll just have to share all my research and info via post and hopefully people will google, like you Jude and see for themselves.

• Posted

Thank you Emis

i have tried on a number of occasions to add links but after receiving a message on post that it's gone for moderation I never hear any more. Strange as none have ever in my opinion gone against T&C.

I have tried on a new discussion so fingers crossed it works.

thanks again

• Posted

To clarify posting of links etc - the forums are not for "campaigning" for or against particular subjects. We do not include links to blogs or posts with just links to Youtube or posts recommending commercial magazine articles etc. If you want to share particular resources that are deemed unsuitable for the forums then you can use the Private Message service to exchange these details if other users want them. 
  • Posted

I've never heard of statins affecting the immune system Mark, but maybe someone else on here will know.

How long were you on the statin? 

• Posted

Hi Jude,

Thank you for your reply. I've only been on this statin for a couple of months I had a chat with my Dr and told him my thoughts on statins and the bad rep they have got but in the end I went with him but no more, the reason I questioned the Immune system was I had a cold for about 1 week then got better and within 2 days of getting better I got a really bad bout of the flu which I very rarely get as My Immune system has always been pretty good, hence me Questioning the Immune system and statins, many thanks jude.

• Posted

Sonya -

My links initially seemed to be gobbled up by the admin, but they eventually cleared them and they made it thru several days later.  So feel free to send them in, but JIC - because they WILL be highly scrutinized by the admin and definitely delayed - back them up with a duplicate post where you guide us to finding the info without an actual link.  For instance I did that and where I had put a link to the FDA's new warnings about statins, I simply told readers to go the FDA's website and look it up.  Same with the other link, which was to right back here at patient.info, another thread here.  I simply stated its title and that allowed people to go there without needing a link to it.

I asked a pharmacist about statins and he said that they are wonder workers with what they are capable of doing, and if not for the side effects he would have no problem with taking them himself.  I clued him in on what's going on here as to their side effects.

My cardiologist, who has me on 20mg of atorvastatin/day, was not available while I was near his office the day of my latest echo this week, so I am going to confront him about it after they have fitted me with a monitor I have to wear for 48 hours because of a skip-the-beat they noticed on this echo, which then have never noticed before.  Could explain why it's so easy for me to get drowsy whenever I am sitting for a long period, like when watching a movie.    

• Posted

Hi Mark, 

I too have blood pressure controlled by medication which I have to take after suffering a TIA four years ago.  My GP advised statins as well but I got similar side effects including some memory loss so I stopped them.  I don't know about immune system effects but nothing would surprise me, they seemed determined to push these things without acknowledging any long term effects.  Anyway, I had to take a job on a busy supermarket checkout to get by and I can't afford any mental slow-down so I am deffinetly staying off them and going to stick to diet controlled cholesterol.  

• Posted

hi mark, well all mdicine has side  your effect as you know, so they do reduce/affect your immune system, kill your cell, and even attimes can lead to other problem .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.