Stomach pains

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had problems with my thyroid for over 30 years. I go for regular check ups and about  every 2 to 3 years it changes. At present I am on 125mg have been having terrible problems recently with dreadful stomach pains. I live in Spain and have been to Casualty 3 times this month. I am waiting an endoscopy as i also have an hiatus hernia. Has anyone else suffered stomach pains and been told it is caused by the thyroid. I have had my gall bladder and pancreas checked and all is well. Would appreciate any feedback.

thanks. Shirley

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Shirley, I have not experienced acute stomach pains necessarily, but it very well could be. I have had pains in my legs, and I am pretty sure that is caused by thyroid. Good luck!
    • Posted

I can't really see the link between thyroid and the stomach.
  • Posted

Shirley, I have an overactive thyroid and take carbimazole. I suffer from severe stomach pains at times and have been told by my doctor that this is all related to thyroid problems.  I thought I was suffering from severe IBS, been told not and all to do with thyroid. Hope you get it sorted.
  • Posted

My father in law had hyperhyroidism and he started having stomach pains and diarrhoea. The doctors kept saying it was related to his high thyroid but that was well controlled by medication. Ultimately, he was found to have a benign colon tumour. I suggest you seek a proper medical opinion because this can be due to something else.
  • Posted

I have been told by a consultant severe stomach pains and overactive thyroid are related and this is normal to occur.  

• Posted

Hi Shirley, when I was 14 I started to get severe abdominal pain which ended me up in a&e a few times with my parents thinking it was grumbling appendix etc as I struggled to walk and move when these pains occurred. I had multiple hospital checks but they never seemed to find anything wrong. Only recently my doctor told me there was a high chance it was caused by Graves' disease and I was only diagnosed with this last year and I'm now 18... It was a long wait but now we know what caused it.

Hope you get it sorted soon and feel better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.