New to the group _ Recovering from partial rupture of the Achilles

Posted , 4 users are following.

Good Afternoon,

My name is Chris, a 55 year old male and new to the group.

I wondered if there may be some advice I could glean as I have had conflicting and confusing advice from doctors.

I suffered a partial rupture on the 28th Feb and was put in a half cast  for twelve days before being put in a moonboot and three wedges. Subsequent to the ultrasound I received which confirmed the partial rupture, the only medical I received after being adviced to have the boot fitted was to only allow partial load bearing and to remove it at night.

After seeing a doctor two weeks later at a fracture clinic who did not seem to be aware of my condition, he eventually instructed me to lose on of the wedges. I have to add that I have suffered no pain whilst in the boot and have been very mobile, walking for a mile last week with the aid of a pair of crutches. I have been able to support my weight on my foot with no boot on for the last two weeks and can walk without sticks with the boot on indoors. Aftter my last visit to the fracture clinic on Friday I was allowed to remove another wedge with one to go and in four weeks will have the boot removed.

My calf muscle has suffered about 25% muscle loss since sustaining the injury, but I am concerned as I had been on Fragmin until last week and have now been feeling calf pain but do not know if this is just associated with the muscles now having some work to do again or possibly something more sinister such as DVT.

Can anyone advice on the exercise regime they have had whilst in the moonboot and whether they have had associated calf pain?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and answering my query

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chris,

I'm relatively new to this too but a few of your points have struck a cord with me.

I had a partial rupture (20th March) at the junction where my calf and tendon meet and have been in a cast every since. Actually had a new one fitted this morning due to muscle wastage, which was quite alarming when i saw it but not uncommon. I'll be having a boot fitted next week though they haven't determined how long for yet. They are pleased with my recovery so far.

I wasn't given an ultrasound, even though i requested one at the time to determine the extent of the injury but it wasn't advised for me. At least you had one to be sure.

I too have been using the blood thinning drug Fragmin via daily injection, and been advised to do this throughout the course of being in a cast. Not had any issues really with administering this or reactions.

I also have experience calf pain in the first few weeks but have died down in the last week or so. I found that it was mainly when I was using the crutches for a period of time and the blood was rushing to my calf and increasing the swelling. The doctors said this was normal especially in the first few weeks of trauma to that area, but might be associated with muscle wastage also.

f you are worried i'd raise this with your Doctor.

I've tried to keep my leg active as much as possible, by tensing my muscles, bending my toes etc as much as my cast allows but i'm 100% non weight bearing at the moment so perhaps the exercises I've been doing will be different to you.

Sounds like you are making good progress if you can put weight on it and move around.

I hope this helps, and wish you a speedy recovery.

Alex

• Posted

Hi Chris

Am just over 5 weeks into my moonboot and had my first vist to the hospital last week expecting to be given some exercises.  Healing nicley but am not to do much in the way of exercise for the next 4weeks and then will be given some physio and exercises hopefully.  My calf muscle I would say is nearly 40% depleted and I know that I will have a long haul in getting it back to anything like and being nearly 66 am going to struggle.  However I have the motivation of work to keep me focused and will have to just keep pushing myself within the limitation of the muscle and tendon of course.

As regards the boot I have 5 wedges in total to remove, and having just removed the second one I have another 6 weeks in this to look forward to.

I have managed to secure a 2 week session of physio and rehabilitation at a centre up in Penrith courtesy of my previous career in the Fire Service which I hope will do the trick.

Anyway, hope I have been helpful and good luck to you.

Chris

• Posted

Same story here too.. 65, partial rupture last september, injections etc. Calf muscle is still very weak, making walking a bit of an effort, but no pain. Had NHS physio and podiatrist sessions to work on the calf. I used bungee cords to stretch / strengthen the tendon and muscle when I was back to partial weight bearing. Exercises continuing at the gym (GP refferal) on various leg esercise machines, curling and pushing, working on the leg in general. Strength is VERY slowly improving. Still some numbness on the heel. I was hoping for a six month return to fitness, but its looking more like 12 for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.