change of dose question

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all,

So I went to my gi doc today and he wants to be more agressive with my treatment and take me to 40mg from 10mg (which he said is the baby dose LOL) I'm kind of nervous about it. Does anyone else take that much? Is that the adult dose? I had no side effects on the 10mg and I'm nervous to up the dosage but I do want to be able to eat again and gain some weight!! Thanks for your advice! This group has helped me so much!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

i took 40mg twice aday for the last 2 weeks with no side effects hope that helps
    • Posted

Thanks! Every positive comment helps!
  • Posted

Hi there,

I also asked my GP today and expressed my concerns about the long time I have been on Omeprazole (see my previous comments). He agreed I should not be on 20mg a day and that the long term effects are not good. He has put me on a 10mg per day dose to be taken ONLY when required (ie when I am really bad!!). He advises me this is the normal and safe "maintenance" dosage and anything higher would have destroyed the helicobactor pylori bacteria which gave me my "ulcer". So if you are at the early point of taking Omeprazole your Doc may want to "zap" it BUT you should cut down to a much lower dose as soon as is feasible for you.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

• Posted

i have been on 20mg twice a day for 18 years or so i have had no side effects couldnt live without it all depends on the person like other drugs hope that helps
    • Posted

It does help...I have been so depressed that I cannot change my situation with my acid with my diet. I have tried since 09 to do it with diet and just cannot make it work...I have lost so much weight. In Jan I started the omeprazole and have been feeling better..
  • Posted

I dont know your symptoms, but why are you jumping from 10 to 40 in one go? Why not try 20..?
    • Posted

I know, my NEW gi doc wants to be more agressive with my treatment. Im still getting bad chest pains and am losing so much weight cuz I cant eat
    • Posted

He is going to have me on that for only 8 weeks then take me down to 20
    • Posted

Hey,

Been there: chest pain, back pain, can't eat, can't sleep etc etc and thought I was dying until diagnosed with helicobacter pylori in my stomach. This was 17 years ago andI  have recently stopped taking Omeprazole  and feeling ok. Will take a 10mg if I need it but am now taking probiotics and eating lots of almonds which seems to work. If you have a bacterial ulcer then it can be treated with large doses of Omeprazole combined with antibiotics but only for 2 weeks and then you should stop takingthe Omeprazole or decrease your dose to 10mg only when needed as a maintenance measure. I have had 2 hip surgeries (I am only 53 and 1st one was 4 years ago for total hip replacement) and have had terrible joint pains and problems for years. There is a possibility this is linked to long term use of Omeprazole. I have osteoarthritis but am being checked for osteoporosis next month - this is a direct result of these Proton Pump Inhibitors like Omeprazole. Short term use is not a problem and you shouldn't worry. It's long term use over years and years which causes the side effects. My advice is make sure you come off it totally after the 2 weeks at 40mg,. and if that doesn't cure you then try something else or ask your Doc to investigate further treatments/management of your pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.