Pain behind left eye, temple & top teeth?

Posted , 31 users are following.

Hi,

I have always suffered with headaches from a young age. I've tried beta-blockers and Amitriptyline which have worked on and off. I've now stopped taking them and gone back on citalopram for anxiety last week. The side effects can cause headache, but for the last 3 days I've had a pain/ache behind my left eye, temple and the top row of my teeth along with pains in other parts of my head on and off. I saw the GP who checked my eye and said my optic disc looked ok and didn't know what it was. I have had the eye pain before but not for so many days in a row. If I take paracetamol it lessens the pain for a few hours and then comes back. Thought it could be sinus related as I keep getting mucus stuck, but I don't have a cold. Any ideas??

2 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Could be sinus. Sinus pain is horrendous. First time I had it I was convinced I had a brain tumour as it made me feel so dizzy as well as the headache.

worth getting the dentist to check your teeth too. 

I tend to clamp my jaw very tightly, not just when I'm asleep, I'll suddenly realise I'm doing it and that can cause head pain as well as pain in my jaw.

• Posted

These are the same symptoms that I had for many years before it was diagnosed. For me it turned out to be TMJ (or TMJD), temporomadibular joint disorder. My bite in incorrect, and I clench my teeth (unknowingly) at night. That's why some of my pain was worse in the morning.

This may or may not be your problem, but it sure sounds like it. See a dentist, esp. someone who specializes in TMJ. They can make a splint for you to wear at night (or during the day). Mine worked after two weeks of using it. The pain went away completely. I still get problems now and then, but it is very important you look into this. If it is TMJ, the stress you put on your teeth loosens them, allowing decay to enter, causing cavities along the gumline.

To test is this could be your problem, put  your fingers on  your temples, clench your teeth, and see if any of your pain is reproduced. Even if it isn't, that still dosen't mean it isn't TMJ. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for the information. Lit a lot of light bulbs for me !!!!!! 
    • Posted

I agree with you. The can cause a lot of issues. Some causes could be from meds , stress and see a dentist soon .
  • Posted

My jaw doesn't really hurt its more behind my eye and the top teeth are aching. I go to the dentist every 6 months and he always asks me to bite together would my teeth not go together?
    • Posted

Well, I certainly hope it's not TMJ, but it still could be. Maybe you should get a head and face massage and see if you feel better! It couldn't hurt! My best to you.
  • Posted

To me it sounds like a Cluster Headache I suffer with these and I have been on citalopram for over a year. I have recently stopped taking my citalopram and since then I have had a constant cluster headache, after a while the citalopram should start to help prevent the headache.
    • Posted

I'm really not sure whst it is. Haven't got it now but my jaw keeps grinding.
    • Posted

Is yours just one side? I was on propranolol which helped, but since stopping get a lot of headaches. When they start I get pains everyday for like a week.
    • Posted

Yeah it is always one side but it does switch sides every other day, the pain is like a stabbing pain.
  • Posted

Are you still dealing with this pain? If you are having this pain, see a neurologist. I have trigeminal neuralgia, atypical neuralgia & occipital neuralgia.. the way you describe your pain, it reminds me of how I would describe it prior to being diagnosed.. just how frequently you say the pain is around and how long it goes for without much relief, just sounds so similar to what I have.. I've had these diseases since I was 16, I am 27 now, before my diagnoses, my doctor thought I had a bad sinus infection, then they thought it was my teeth, has alot of dental work done then followed by getting my wisdom teeth removed, eyes checked, spine then my brain.. after they did a MRI & MRA on my head then they realised what was wrong. It's not a life threatening disease, but it's incurable.

• Posted

What do you mean incurable? Did you have have to have surgery? I am going throw the same kind of pain. I went to the dentist and he said i have sinus infection. After a cat scan I was told I have inflammation on my left cheek and all over my left side jaw bone. After a while I still feel the pain so I went back and the doctor gave me steroids to control the swollen on my left temple but the pain is still there. I'm leaving next week to get an mri. So what were you treated for?

• Posted

I know this is old but I'm hoping you'll get it. I've been dealing with a deep pain inside my left temple and behind my eye, also extending into my jaw. Only left sided for 2 years! I've seen neurologists,ENT, dentists, a million different doctors. No one can help me. My neurologist told me trigeminal neuralgia but also said I'd have sharp stabbing pain which I don't have. Just a full awful feeling and also ALOT of muscle spasms in my face and neck. Coming from someone who has TN what do u think?

• Posted

Hi shacka

Iam experienceing the same bloody

Pain can understand it some days its fine some days its just this slight deep pain feeling , docs say could atypical TN but thats only to put a name to it and treat it with anti meds as day dont know much aswell , have you found any relife ? How did your pain start isit stress anxiety related ? , anyone figured it out 😊 Its driveing me crazzyy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.