Feels Like Forever!!!! Injury sure plays tricks on your mind!

Posted , 3 users are following.

So here it is in a nutshell... Fully ruptured my Achilles tendon 10 weeks ago while playing volleyball.  Was in a splint for a week, then a plaster cast for three weeks followed by the boot with five wedges.  For the first two wedges I removed a wedge after two weeks.  Now the doctor has indicated that the last three will come out once a week. He also mentioned that after I've had zero wedges for a week and a half we will hopefully be able to start physio.

It's clear that progress is being made but it feels like it is taking forever. The pain in my leg hasn't been too bad.  It's tight but manageable. I find it's most tight after removing a wedge. Walking with the boot isn't much fun either.  Recently, I had to go to a chiropractor because my upper back and shoulder was out of whack. I think it was because of using a single crutch or cane.  I'm looking forward to the next step of physio starting although I do think it's going to be painful and a not so easy journey!

Lately, I've been struggling with an emotional roller coaster.  I think a big part of it is he nicer weather.  I've always been active and a lot of my friends have started getting out in the sunshine...riding bikes, going for walks/runs...it's so hard to not be able to do it with them. I find myself getting upset because I can't do it but also because I don't know when I will be able to do it again.  

My job involves me being on my feet all day and so I haven't been back to work yet which also makes it difficult because that sense of purpose is missing.

I'm know I will make it through I just wish it wasn't so hard emotionally.

Thanks for listening. 

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

I don't want to depress you, but it takes a lot longer than you expect, and the journey is far from over. I'm 65, and popped the tendon last September. I only had 3 wedges and was out of the boot after 12 weeks, The tendon was fine but due to being weight off, the calf muscle was very weak, and its that which takes the time to recover. Exercises, physio, walking and I still can't toe stand and theres a slight numbness of the ball of the foot from nerve damage. Its improving, but nowhere near back to normal yet. I'm walking with a slight limp still, but getting there. Good luck!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Tim for your reply. Although it's not the news one would want to hear it is the reality!  I will keep plugging away and make it through just like many others have done!! Keep at it!!
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You're not alone in how you feel. I ruptured my Achilles 17 months ago. It's crazy how a tiny little tendon can wreck a lot of plans and goals.

Took me 9-10 mos before I felt normal. It will feel like forever but trust me you will get better if you stick with the exercises and embrace the rehab/physio when you hit that point.

One thing I will give you a tip on is once you start working normal again you will notice swelling. Totally normal since your calf muscle helps push the blood back up the leg. Someone told me to wear runner compression socks. And wow they were a huge help until the muscle regained its full function.

Other than that, limited dorsiflexion will come and go for quite a while.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

How high up the leg do those socks go? I've changed over to soft top socks as my usual socks were creating a very obvious mark round the calf. Someone told me it was the Lymphatic fluid that the calf muscle pumped back up the leg, and lack of function was casusing a swollen foot, but compression might be worth a try for me.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

At the beginning I bought feetures socks that went up all the way to the knee. They took 10min to put on. But I was worried of the mark on the calf like you say. I would wear them all the time. I later switched to ones that at least ended above my surgery area but just at the bottom of the calf.

Yeah and it's blood and lymphatic fluid. Things just don't work well after an injury like that and it will take time for your body to go back to normal. I even wore an ankle sleeve when I started running mileage again. (PTs don't recommend it but I missed running so badly and the semi-side movements really made my foot and ankle swell up). But only did that for a few months because you definitely want to regain the other weaker foot muscle functions.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. It does help to know I'm not the only one feeling this way. I fully intend on embracing the physio and exercises that come with it. I know it will take some time and that a mind game will be involved but I have the goal of playing volleyball again to keep me going.  Thanks again!

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up