8 year with HSP

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, my son was diagnosed with HSP last week, it started off with a painful swollen testicle which was treated as a testicular torsion, after his op we returned home where he seemed to be fine until 2 days after his op when his calve muscles both swelled up and his legs were covered in a rash, he was rushed by ambulance to hospital with suspected meningitis

He was diagnosed with HSP at the hospital and sent home, the follwing day he was unable to walk and I had to carry him to the bathroom to use the toilet, we were told to give Calpol for pain relief but that was it. The following day the rash seemed to be fading and he was able to walk until his penis swelled up, it seems one thing gets better then another thing happens.

two days after the swelling reduced and he seems back to normal except for stomach ache, he went back to school yesterday and seemed ok, fingers crossed this will be the end of it. My son is usually a very active boy and never gets ill so it was so worrying and upsetting to see him like that.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi

when my daughter (now 18) was preschool I had a time when she was ill. She had breathing probs, lost consciousness etc. was taken to hospital and came round with no side effects. There was no known cause. Within a week she had a rash which was suspected meningitis, again no answer. Life went on and it was identified she appeared to have a reaction to insect bites,  constantly had them but the GP thought it could be due to fruit. We had a period of record keeping re diet and periods of testing particular fruit. No outcome.

at age 17 she was really ill with HSP. We spent just over a year with constant flu symptom, the rash (which was same as early childhood) anaemia and cronic kidney failure. It felt like it was never going to end. So scared. But after about 14 months it ended as suddenly as it started with no obvious difference. Keep strong it will get better, no matter how hard that believes at times.

• Posted

Thank you for your response, my son seems much better and I hoping we've seen the back of it for now at least. 
    • Posted

Hi there, I'm a 20 year old female who's had hsp for 7 months now. It's showing no signs of letting up. Just wondering if your daughter had any treatment for it. And did it slowly get better or did the rash just go and never come back sort of thing x
  • Posted

Hi sorry to here that my 4 year old son suffers with hsp he's had it a number off times over the last year the GPS don't really seem to no a lot about it look on the nhs website that helped me he if he swollen and can't walk take him to a and e I have to check my son urine for blood and he as to go on steroids for a couple off days calpol don't really do anythink please make sure you check his urine for blood if there blood he as to have blood test done to check his kidneys are ok good luck hope he's well soon x
    • Posted

Thank you for the advice, he seems well at the moment and as we go on holiday Monday I hope he stays this way! 

I have been checking his urine and we are back at the doctors tomorrow so she can check it for proteins again. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.