Should I work?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've just been diagnosed with plantar fasciitis and I'm in a lot of pain. I go to placement 2 days a week and sixth form the other 3. On top of this I'm working part time at McDonald's, doing roughly 18 hours a week. I'm worried about going to work tomorrow as I have an 8 hour shift and would be on feet for that whole time. I'm considering taking a week or something off just to rest up a little bit and take a little bit of pressure off of my foot.

And opinions or suggestions?

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elisha.

sorry to hear you are it the PF club! You may only have it for a shor time for for years and each case is different. Younhave to find out what works for you. Have a few days off to rest and see but it may just return when you get back on it. Find our how long you can be on your feet. I am completely lame  first thing in the morning but then get going and not too bad for the morning then if I have not sat down gets really painful by mid afternoon. Rest up in evening but always painful. I now to phisio in morning and massage and ice in evening. Get orthotics made and some phisio advice. Get doctor to refer you to Biomechanics. Good luck x

• Posted

hard to say it is caused by walking and standing on feet.  The thing is you will need to have an injection or see your doctor cos it takes time for it to go and always comes back I have found.
  • Posted

Hi Elisha,

So sorry to hear about your PF! I've been experiencing this going on 6 months now and it has been by far probably been the most uncomfortable and painful thing I have expereienced besides healing from gallbladder surgery. It started in just my left foot but not it is my right foot too. I was born with flat feet so that is part of the reason I have developed PF in my early 20's. I'm in college and I work in a cafeteria so I'm on my feet several hours on a weekend and during the school week. Each individual requires something different, so you have to find what treatment works best for you. The pain is usually the worst when I get out of bed. Once I get up and move around for 10 to 15 minutes, the pain usually subsides but may return gradually throughout the day. Even when sitting down for a long period of time and trying to get back up, it was very painful. I had made 2 trips to my doctor after trying a couple of different medications and an injection. I finally got refered to a podiatrist. He made some custom inserts for my shoes. I have had two injections in my feet and since yesterday, along with my orthotics, the pain is almost non-existent. It was much easier to get out of bed without being in severe pain. Ice and elevation for 20 minutes about two to three times a day helps along with foot stretches and wearing the inserts. Rest and stay off your feet as much as you are able to if you aren't working. I've found that when I'm working it really helps my feet to wear my inserts in my work shoes. There are definitely ways to help reduce the pain of PF, just have to find what works for you. Best of luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.