Worrying

Posted , 6 users are following.

I recently viewed the Heart Foundation's response to statin reaction and the opinion sems to be ,' they're fine, only a few people suffere side effects!' From my reasearch and personal experience, this is far from being the case and I find it very worrying that such an institution should be so ignorant of the facts. I took Simvastatin for a few weeks until the aches began, researched and refused to take them any more, however from that point onwards I began to lose weight and now have little muscle, constant fatigue, reaction to sugar and muzzy memory. Oh and the doctor, three times diagnosed IBS!

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

If every single person who suffered a side-effect of anything used the yellow card reporting scheme they would realise the true extent of the problem. But most doctors seem to believe it is only for "new" adverse effects, not the already known ones. 

The true incidence of side effects can only be established by people with no vested interest once the drug is in common use in a large population - after the market launch. Apart from anything else, the company isn't going to mention a common side effect, it might put potential customers off! 

So it up to us too - we can file a yellow card report, it doesn't have to be a pharmacist of doctor that does it.

• Posted

I quite agree that it is very worrying that people are not going back to the doctors and telling them what's happening.

I was speaking to a senior GP in the town and he was appalled  by what had happened to myself of course.... but I then told him about other people and he went back to his practice  apparently, and checked up on the patients I had told him about - he even phoned them to enquire why they had not continue requesting their prescriptions.   So the next time he met me he confessed he had no idea of the uptake I rather lack of it of the statins and indeed of the strength of feeling about statins until then. 

As you say Eileen if everybody who suffered a side-effect used the yellow card system and at least told the doctor to do so on their behalf - things could be a lot better than they are now days eg the cost of thousands of these prescriptions that are not used could be saved which should help the 8 million deficit we have in the  NHS right now - if any of our politicians have got their facts right - highly unlikely but nevertheless...

Big Pharma might have something else to say other than to crow about their massive profits which are so vast ... they can afford to silence the few doctors or consultants who try to argue with them about these so-called occasional side effects that occur to a few people... they just pay off anybody who DARES  to tell then anything thst they don't want to hear

Sometimes it takes an old head on young shoulders to get things done right....but it DOES take courage to start such a big ball rolling!

• Posted

I have been wandering around in this wilderness for quite a while trying to find answers and it has been a frightening and lonely journey. It was a pleasant relief to talk to people who at least know something of my mental and emotional state. I perhaps hoped for some empathy, some comparing of notes,even compassion but instead I get a lecture not from one but two. Thanks a bunch!
    • Posted

Have I missed something here? Can't see any comments that could constitute a 'lecture'.  Quite the reverse in fact, all replies seem to be agreeing with you and supporting your actions.  I too am one of those that has been there, done that, bought the tee shirt and had said tee shirt printed with my views on statins - they are poison!  I knew nothing about side effects when I first was prescribed them and wasn't told anything either, not about muscle issues NOR about liver enzyme tests etc.  I blindly and in good faith assumed my doctor knew best.  I ended up in A&E and thank the lord, one of the registrars attending me was the one who pointed out that statins cause muscle atrophy.  They also reduce cholesterol in some people to a dangerously low level which has now been determined as a primary presenting factor in dementia and alzheimers, possibly why some people suffer appalling memory issues whilst on statins.  We on here do have empathy, we've all been victim of the horrors of statins, it's why we're giving the benefit of our experience and knowledge, to help those who like me, were innocent of the possible health damage and were never told about it until too late.  I tried the yellow card thingy with my doctor and got told that these cards are as mentioned above, only for 'new' side effects and not ones already known.  I now know that to be in effect a lie, that they were just fobbing me off so that the complaints go unrecorded and the drug companies bribery can continue.  It sickens me to think of the many thousands who are unnecessarily debilitated by dangerous drugs like these - is anyone old enough to remember thalidomide?  Same situation - drug company funding hid the reality til too late.
  • Posted

Sorry to you have disappointed you - but then Eileen and I are rather season campaigners... Certainly  I am not unsympathetic to your health problems.... But if you follow our responses on this forum you will find out quite quickly that we have been through it and have the T-shirts to prove it...LOL

You obviously recognised the side-effects of the statins initially and stopped them very wisely.  As you did not give the timescale in which you took those tablets and the interval from stopping them and the beginning of your constant fatigue and muzzy memory et cetera... I could not comment on the possible relationship of your symptoms and the statins....

However as you had gone on initially about how scary it was that the powers that be paid little or no attention to the side effects of statins.... I replied as did AileenH by agreeing with you wholeheartedly .....this was not meant as any sort of "lecture"

I can assure you.    Surely it was better to have some sort of reply/reaction than none at all?

Oh and as for the Doctor who three times diagnosed IBS .... why don't you go back ...to another doctor?   It sounds like that doctor has a one track mind...your allimentary track!!

CHEERS ... And do you give as an update in due course please we are always interested to hear new stories and how people get on.

• Posted

I saw nothing in the responses of the 2 people who did respond to you that smacked of any kind of lecture.  Get over it, you're among friends here.  We sympathize with you, we have been thru worse than you, believe me.  Welcome and stay tuned.  Search this site out for other threads on this topic and you'll find some long posts from me too.
    • Posted

Thanks mrbob for your support... I agree we are all friends here and most of us have been through the mill and as you say.... we all sympathise, believe me.

Personally I am just back out of hospital yesterday following an unsuccessful attempt to mend my shoulder I am to have a shoulder replacement done next month.....all as a direct result of just 6 months of statin ttherapy approx 3 years ago..which wrecked  my life.... and only now admitted to by my neurologist and the rest of my consultants...Grrrr!!

• Posted

Thanks mrbob - I was trying to work out where my lecture was -  I thought I merely stated some pertinent facts relevant to concerns expressed. 
  • Posted

Well this statin stuff is no laughing matter, and until I came here to this site I had no idea how prevalent and widespread the damage is/was showing itself to be.  

A year ago I had to prove to Peak Potentials that the drugs I was taking were affecting my memory because I forgot to cancel out on a program I had signed up for, and 6 months later I tried to sign up and go ahead for the next upcoming class and was informed that since I had been a "no show" (for an $890 course) I would now have to cough up an extra $750 to be allowed to take that same course I had paid for but could not take at the time.  This floored me, as $750 right then was a HUGE amount of money.  Still is.

I went on the net and found articles from Scientific American and Johns Hopkins, among others, attesting to the effects of the statins and what a patchwork quilt they can make of your memory.  When I showed them that evidence and the links they could use to find corroboration, they took a day and then backed off and decided to allow me to take the course after all, and for no penalty.  We all have horror stories we can tell about the statins, and Lea, I think you might have just found some answers you have been seeking, here.

Again, welcome and please join in some more.  We want to hear your story too, as we know for a fact, from our own personal experiences, that it will be a true story.    

• Posted

Thankyou. My apologies for my response ut I am sooooo fed up with feelling as I do,

To give you a history. I had a heart attack in Feb 2011 after considerable prolonged stress and received a stent to clear a blockage. No heart disease. Simvastatin was one of the many pills I had to take. After a few weeks of taking them I stopped. From then until Feb 2012 I lost over a stone. I thought GREAT! Little did I know. Went to Australia for a month to see my family and  lost half a stone but eating like a horse. In May I fell heavily in the house on my chest and a few months later a tight band began under my boobs with bloating, fatigue and muzziness accompanying. After much trial and error discovered I was reacting to sugar. Little sense from doctors. IBS and Oh dear you have a bruised chest bone. Five tests, negative results. Had food poisoning and lost another stone,now at nine and half. Minimul muscle.React to other things as well, not sure of the connection. Fibre, many fruits, Andrews Health Salts, Bi carb, potatoes. Taking CQ10, Magnesium, D-Rebose and Carnitene.Oddly enough for years I suffered with indigestion especially with sugary foods, now don't, just everything else! No bleeding. No pain. Good appetite.

• Posted

Hm.  Usually what I see is that whoever has reacted to statins has been on them for a while.  I was on mine for a year before I really started noticing my memory lapses, but then I had until them chalked them up to age.

If you were only on them for a few weeks, do you feel the statins have caused all this turmoil?

• Posted

During my research I found that you only needed to be on them a week for the problems to begin. It's a bit of a coincidence that I began to lose weight almost immediately.
  • Posted

Oops.  Meant to say "I had until then chalked them up to age".  Could not find a way to edit my original statement... 
  • Posted

I no longer expect any kind of truth or fairness to come from the "system" in a corporate based society . . . the spin doctors are in control to manage the information stream that reaches the public . . . especially pharmaceutical and chemical products (GMO) . . . we will only be informed of what they want us to know . . . the truth is shoved away from sight in a ruthless and determined way.  
  • Posted

Gosh I almost misread that to say "corporation based".  Hm.  Or WAS that a misreading...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.