New to Orlistat - Please inspire me!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi there,

New to Orlistat and really excited to hopefully begin to lose some weight (finally). I'm a diabetic and have well controlled blood sugars (months of hard work) but unfortunately the weight never came off so hence I'm now on this tablet.

Please could you share your success stories of how much weight you've lost and how long it took? Looking to be inspired and hoping it will work for me. I work so hard and get no results so fingers crossed this is the help I need!

Thank you smile

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hiya, well done controlling your sugars! And welcome smile

I have been on the tabs for 2 months now and in my first month lost 15lbs but second I haven't lost. It's different for everyone and my nurse said this morning I probably haven't lost because I'm building up muscle and I wasn't big to start with, but it's given me the kickstart I needed! Just make sure you stay under the 5g per 100g rule and you'll be fine (made the mistake of eating something earlier that wasn't and have had to rush to the toilet twice today!)

• Posted

Thank you and well done on your weight loss!! Appreciate your advice and hopefully I can see similar results smile
  • Posted

Hi Loz25oct 

i am starting orlistat tomorow and was wondering how the first few weeks have gone for you? 

Rach x

• Posted

Hi Rachellucy!

I'm just over a month in and I've lost 7 pounds. Came off quite quickly at the beginning but it's now a lot more hard work!

I do get side effects when I've eaten something a bit too high in fat but overall seem to be getting on with them.

Good luck smile xx

• Posted

Hi,

It worked for me but had a disasterous effect !!

I was on it for 12 months.

I am also a diabetic and had great problems in controlling my weight. Orlistat worked well and I lost quite a few Kilos.  As my kidney function was checked frequently it was noted that my kidneys were failing and I was admitted to hospital where the cause of the failure was put down to Orlistat.

This was about 4 years ago and the consultants had never come across his before!

They could only find two cases on the internet at the time so it appeared to be a rare reaction to the drug.

The manufacturers drug information made no reference to unsafe use with kidney problems only with liver conditions.

If you look on the websites you will discover that there have been many problems In the USA & Canada and there are class actions against the manufacturers.

I hope it works well for you but I would suggest you have regular blood tests to check your kidney function whilst taking Orlistat.

I am advised that my case was reported to the health authorities and as a result doctors should be aware of the possible (hopefully rare) sidefects of its use.

Good luck !!!

• Posted

Hi I started about december 2014 i have lost one and half stone now thanks to these little pills i have still loads to go but now i can take my puppy my hubby brought me for walks which he got in march hopefully more will come off quicker now but they say rome was build in a day so..... good luck everyone x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.