PCOS for 20 years and still doctors do not have anything for the pain, help please?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

i have suffered from PCOS since since i was 17 years old. I don't have many of the other symptoms apart my skin not being the best, however that has improved dramaticallty as i have got older (now 37) i do however suffer from excruciating pain in my stomach and it gets so bad sometimes that i have passed out. 

After having to have 5 Laparoscopy due to this i really do not want to have any more so thought i would instead ask other sufferes if they can give me any advice???

I have not had much help in regards the doctors i have seen (and there have been lots), infact i have been told that PCOS does not cause abdominal pain!?!

Even though everytime i have been in such severe pain and have had a scan suprise suprise 2 or 3 of my cysts have grown as big as a tennis ball!!!

I have been subscribed Metformin which made my pain more regular and i was also perscribed Clomid which helped me conceive cheesygrin my son who is now 5. If anyone else on here has the same symptoms or has any advice to help i would really appreciate you taking the time to reply i look forward to hearing from you. Thanks Sarah

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Have they ever mentioned endometriosis to you? This causes pain.

Have you asked for any painkillers? The ones that helped me were called metfenamic acid x

• Posted

Hi Amy,

thanks for your reply.

Yes i have asked several doctors if i have endometriosis and i have always been told no i have PCOS??

Can you get these painkillers over the counter? I have tried all kinds of painkiller including Co-drymaol (cant spell that) and they literally do nothing for that particular pain? I will try your advice thatnk you very much x

• Posted

The thing with doctors is they don't help much with these problems you have to bug them!!

You can't get them over the counter - nothing over the counter was strong enough for me, you'd have to have a Drs appt x

• Posted

Ok thanks Amy i will try the doctors cry i gave up with them on this subject after about 15 years of it.

thanks again x

• Posted

Prior to taking Metformin, I suffered 'horrific' abdominal pain. Since taking Metrormin, every day (500mg x 3 times per day), I've not had any of these symptoms. I've been taking Metformin every day for 23 years now!!

I wouldn't recommend painkillers on the basis that you could run into 'other' problems after taking painkillers on a regular basis (stomach issues).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.