Both shoulders frozen and facing surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am having surgery next month to manipulate both my shoulders and to remove some extra bone growth from one.  I am in a fair bit of pain now and have little movement in either shoulder/arm which obviously makes things difficult.

Can anyone tell me if things are immediately better after surgery or if it is worse but gradual improvement?  With it being both shoulders I am worried that I won't be able to do the basics such as getting dressed or eating!

Is there a simple answer to when will I be able to drive again?  I am self employed and if I don't drive I don't work.

Is it usual to have both shoulders frozen?  I notice that several people mention it can happen when stressed - I have had a couple of very stressful years and when I saw on osteopath she told me she could see it in my body (I hadn't told her).

I had an mri on the right shoulder (which froze initially) which found the extra bone growth but I am concerned it may be the same with the left but I really don't want another mri - the first was frightening enough!  Should I get another mri for the other shoulder?

I guess I should have asked the surgeon all this but I didn't think of it at the time.confused

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, awwww you poor thing how awful to get this vile condition in both shoulders sad

I have had MUA & bone shavings, unfortunately I had to have further MUA 9weeks later sad In my experience the pain didn't really ease much the first time nor did my movements improve much sad  But the second MUA was fab!!! Pain eased overnight and has continued to improve - just taking the odd painkiller now instead of eating them continually throughout the day!!! Movements much much improved & have continued to improve with stretching excercises from physio..............I haven't been able to drive since last October sad  I think when I see my consultant next week that he will now let me drive!!!!! This condition has made me isolated & very depressed - but I have found light at the end of a very long tunnel smile  I wish you luck with your surgery & a rapid recovery. Sending gentle hugs xxxx 

• Posted

My husband fractured his humerus in 2014 of january and was told he had a frozen shoulder from waiting to see if humerus would heel n its own which he had to have surgery its been a year and a half and has fair movement and both shoulders hurt they are making popping noise he is in so much pain.
  • Posted

Have you found anything that helps any with pain?Just a little at least Thanks.
    • Posted

It sounds like he has a rotator cuff tear - its the popping noise that gives it away sad

Nothing really helps with the pain............its agony sad

I tried all manor of drugs even morphine & nothing helped I'm afraid sad Tell your husband to see an orthopaedic consultant....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.