Bowel problems /Defacating test

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I had a colonoscopy which couldn't be completed so was sent to have a barium enema scan the results were that I didn't have cancer of the colon but I have some diverticular the lumps that stick out into your pasage of the colon. I have been fidning it harder to go tot he toilet properly and they are sending me to Aintree Hospital someime for a defacating test. Please can anyone tell me what that entails and how long it takes. Thanks in advance

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi carol I recently had a procograme test where you have to defecate while. Being xrayed and videoed any way not as bad a s I feared , as I have dreamt all my life about beither not being able to find a toilet or its in public and people are watching as the room is somehow got no door ect  , any way it wasn't too bad you have some dye put in the vagina and some paste put into your rear , before that you have to drink some barium as well 

and then you have to clench mucelss press hard down and them pass the paste while sitting on the special commode , it sounds horrible  it by the time you've gone through all the prep you don't care any more and it's over very quickly , the staff stay behind the blinds so it does feel sort of private even though the lights are glaring , hope all is ok for you. Remember they have seen and done this all before , God luck 

• Posted

Thank you for the time taken to reply, I had found the details online after posting the question but nice to hear it from a real person instead of a youtube video with diagrams lol. I have not even heard when it will be yet knowing my luck they will send when I am going on holiday.
    • Posted

Hi Caroline, I've had this done twice and the first time, well let's just say I was terrified and mortified! However it was a breeze, you're all gowned up and covered, they put a tube of porridgey stuff into your rear, then you sit on a make shift loo which is lined with a plastic bag. All you have to do is pass the porridge back out while the x-Ray machine spins round you, the nurses are behind curtains and they stay there until you're wiped and ready to leave the room. I had nightmares, panic attacks and felt utterly sick beforehand, I wish I'd done like you and asked people what it was like, I'd have saved myself so much stress! It really isn't as bad as your brain makes out!! Good luck, hope it leads to diagnosis/cure. Caroline x
    • Posted

Sorry...phone autocorrected Carol to Caroline x
    • Posted

Thanks Bobby for the info it is better than watching diagram type youtube videos lol. I am hoping that I am on one of my bad days so they can see the problems as some days things are worse than others and with my luck on the day of the test I will be on a good day lol. I take 2 dulcolax every night, some days it is still very hard to go and ocasionally it is much easier. It is never hard always soft or even runny but same problems occur at random.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.