Almost in tears while going upstairs

Posted , 9 users are following.

For a year I have been suffering from Osteoarthritis that restrains my movements. I was a prolific sportsman in my Halcyon days but can not run or walk fast right now as my Orthopedic friend suggests not to walk, carry on exercises sitting at home. Would anyone please lead me light so that I can have fun to run (at least 1KM) and go upstairs hovering a vibrant smile on my lips? I am 50 plus.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Where is your Osteoarthritis? In my experience, I have it in my fingers and have had two joint replacements, in the early stages I found that exercise helped. Eventually all the cartildge is gone and its bone on bone and that is painful which is when surgery was the only option to replace the joint.
  • Posted

Hello malay. I do understand to some extent what you are going through. I have osteoarthritis (confirmed by X-rays) in my shoulder, knees, feet and hands and I find it quite debilitating at times despite taking Naproxen and codeine. However recently my GP prescribed me Nefopam (also known as Acupan) which I can take alongside my other medication and it has made a big difference. It isn't an opiate so therefore not supposed to be addictive but strong enough to help pain. It is given occasionally to women in labour and to post operative patients. I still get up on a morning in pain and have stiff joints but the combined medication definitely helps.
  • Posted

Hi

It must be hard having been very actie before.

Dont run!! no high impact exercise. 

Have I picked it up corectly that your orthoeaedic friend??? {qualified?} says dont walk?

Walking is the best exercise you can do and swimming of course.

I would ask firstly who have you seen......medically qualified? GP? and have they referred you to a hospital and have they diagnosed arthritis and where is  thearthritis. Sorry for the questions.

A physiotherapist will give you the corect exercises to do. You must exercise {use it or lose it} but it must be the correct exercise.

I've got osteoarthritis in both hips, spine and ankle.  Also a few other things have been diagnosed and I am on crutches permanently now. I'm a volunteer for Arthritis care and have to go about dong thingsfor them and going to trinings etc. I'm lucky I've go a car so its put the crutches in the back and go.

You're pain relief doesnt sound great....I would go back to your GP and check that out.  I'm going for a review of my medicines on Friday because I'm still  a lot of pain.

Keep in touch and let us know how things go on.

You'll get a lot of tips from this board

Love

Eileen      UK

• Posted

So sorry to hear that your OA has restricted your enjoyment of previous sporting activity.  I really sympathise, I truly loved playing badminton and was really rather good at it but that's no longer a possibility.  As others have said, definitely NO high impact exercise, so running is most certainly not recommended.  I agree totally that walking and particularly swimming are excellent.  It's essential to keep exercise in your daily routine as otherwise you will definitely freeze up and be in more pain than ever.  There are pilates and yoga classes specifically designed for those with arthritis, you may like to try those as they are very good for keeping the joints flexible, which is so important.  I have OA in one ankle due to major accident a few years back and now have it in both thumb joints which is very restricting as I can no longer grip anything.  I also have fibromyalgia which is both very painful and causes my limbs to 'sieze up' particularly in the mornings.  I find swimming a blessing - it does cause the fibro to flare up but the lasting relief for the OA pain is worth it.  Jogging, tennis, badminton, aerobics, etc., are all most certainly to be avoided as they will cause more harm than good.  Exercises whilst sitting are good but not in isolation.  Visit the arthritis care website, there is a lot of very good advice and tips on there and their info is to be trusted.
  • Posted

It seems you can't win.

at present the nhs says there is an obesity epidemic in the UK because of people's over eating and lack of exercise.

So what happens?? like a lot of 50+years I've had a lifetime of sport, boxing, football primarily then running well into my 40s and laterly mountain biking and rambling.

Before a hip replacement in 2008 I was encouraged to cycle and swim as much as I want but running was out.

Before my knee arthroscopy last year the nurse in scrubs said running was the bane of the medical profession....... So much for looking after yourelf

• Posted

Not being able to run anymore isnt the end of exercise in life.  I've never run due to issues with the arches in my feet but I've played badminton, swim regularly, cycled, do Chi gung and Tai Chi and have kept my height/weight proportionately balanced.  A healthy diet and low impact exercise are MORE than enough to keep you fit.  The nurse was precisely right, running is not good for bipeds, we arent physically designed for it, not only does it put too much wear and tear on joints etc., but it jolts the heart.  Records abound of those long distance joggers (ie marathon runners) with heart problems and skeleto muscular injuries.  
    • Posted

The point I was getting at was that we are told to exercise because it's good for and it is.

Squash badminton and tennis is well known for being hard on the knees but not everyone who's played ends up injured just like not every runner ends up crippled

Some people end up with arthritis and others don't.

• Posted

Hi Malay;  From the many years that I had Arthritic probs, I'd say that I didn't really start to get the Correct Medications, until I saw a Rhuematologist....these people specialize in All Musculoskeletal Health issues.....have you been started on a NSAID (an anti-inflammatory)....even the minor ones such as Brufen...the one that is the best for me is Voltaren (but needs to be taken with food and watch for gut probs....so I also take Pariet with it)....there are others, and these are used to stop the inflammatory process that is going  on in our joints.  It is necessary to stop this process before the Cartilage is damaged (and then we end up with the "bone on bone" state....it is also a prerequisite to take Osteopanadol 2x3 times a day, as this is the Primary treatment (the panadol has an anti-inflammortory property too).. The use of Hotpacks and Arthritic Gloves is another of my important Must Haves.....so perhaps, it maybe a good idea to get that appointment with a Rhuematologist, and go from there???...regards Bron
  • Posted

Hello,I feel so sorry for you because I have trouble getting up the stairs too,I've got arthritis in many joints,was thinking of getting a stair lift but don't want one yet,I was in a car accident many years ago,and have had cronic pain for about 30 years,I take gabbapentin amitriptyline tramadol and every four months I get steroid injections,I find amitriptyline works the best for me,have been on it 20 years,I wish you luck,I look for lifts everywhere I go theatres,stations ect,I look fit n healthy on the outside,people are shocked that I have had lots of operations.the thing is don't give into it,keep moving when you can,looks like you are about the same age as me,keep taking the tablets and carry on,(don't over do it) that's what every one tells me)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.