Medial knee pain after achilles op.

Posted , 4 users are following.

It is 6 months since I had an Achilles reconstruction with tendon transfer, my calf muscles are still not right and my ankle joints really stiff, I now have a sharp pain in the inside of my knee and stiffness at the back of the knee, anyone experience this before. Thanks  Janet

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Similar experience here, another month down the line with just conservative treatment. The calf muscle goes weak very quickly and takes ages to get back to strength.. I still can't toe stand on the wonky one yet. That muscle really gets used when you walk, pushing off and acting as an energy store when you step forward.. and if its not working right the whole gait is wrong and hips, anles and knees all suffer. I may go back to physio, but I know they will say do more exercises every day......
    • Posted

Thanks Tim, I rang the physio but she said go to my doc and get another traiage referal, I don't need another physio as to me it's all part of the same problem, I hope my consultant has more to say next time I see him!! This pain has really set me back and I need to get back to work..  Janet

• Posted

That does sound worth checking up on, be interested to hear what the outcome is. It felt like pass the parcel for me, maybe thats what happens with a non surgical route. Doctor got me a refferal to the consultant who got me into an air boot, then saw me through getting out of the boot via removing wedges wtc. Then passed onto the physio who got me exercising and walking again. Still had some walking difficulty and he felt physio had done all it could to passed me onto a podiatritrist for arch supports. Walking is still not 100% right but theres nothing to magic it better again, apart from strengthening exercises. One physio mentioned it takes 6 weeks to recover from 1 week  of muscle inactivity... 6 times 8 is almost a year....
  • Posted

Once the cast is off of my ankle I intend to get in the pool and start swimming again. Twenty years ago I had a comminuted pylon fracture of my left leg\ankle, repaired with plates and screws and spent a long time on crutches. The best exercise to get movement and strength back was swimming, non-weight bearing and great all round exercise.
    • Posted

Hi Janet it's 8 months since my ATR - conservative treatment & it's been a v long journey been in and out of boot cast 3 times as I had tendonosis then more recently an impending stress fracture which is still very volatile. I had to stop physio for past 8 weeks as a result so this set me back again. I too have knee pain, back ache, ankle joint stiffness plantar fascia problems etc!!! To be honest these problems are coming from long periods of inactivity where your leg has been forced into a particular position or movement pattern. It throws your gait off and so you are over working other joints such as your knee or hip! I've just started swimming and it's good because it's non weight bearing and helps with strengthening - I'm not out of the woods yet still have to be very cautious because bones are weak as a result of tendon and ligament weakening. I've also started a vitamin D and calcium supplement for bone strengthening. My consultant and physio just advised me to get a pair of suitable walking shoes with a rocker type sole eg Skechers walk to go! Have to check these out after the weekend! It's a long, long journey!! Best of luck!
    • Posted

Thanks for that, I didn't realise the problems I would encounter after the op.good luck with yours.. Janet

• Posted

6 month down the line, i was walking with a limp, calf muscle was tiny. Ankle feels very stiff, i am almost 7 months since surgery and still feels stiff now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.