still waiting for physiotherapy

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had reconstruction surgery 9 weeks ago for complete rupture to my Achilles ,been in a walking boot for 2 weeks but still not heard anything about pt ,so not sure exactly what I'm supposed to be actually doing ,how long do you usually wait before you get a appointment ,thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mary, my daughter had a partial tear/cut. She was in the boot for 4 weeks. She saw the physio once all the wedges were removed. She had 4 and had to take out one each week with no weight bearing. Once all the wedges were gone she was able to weight bear with the boot and crutches, then one crutch and then no crutch. (Over 2 weeks). She is now walking again in normal shoes with just a slight limp.

Part of her physio was 10 mins on the exercise bike in the boot as the archilles remains in the same position. She gradly built this up to 40 mins a day by week 4.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Mary, i should also add that we booked our own appointment to see the physio. Just make sure you find one that is experienced with archilles injuries and the recovery process.
  • Posted

Hi Mary,

I didnt have surgery for mine (nearly 10 weeks ago) so was put in the boot from day 2.  Boot had 5 wedges and have been taking them out every 2-3 weeks.  Physio was arranged at hospital starting about 3 weeks ago with just minor exercising.  Saw Consultant a couple of days ago who said he was happy with my 'progress' and to stick with the physio.  However I feel that just once a week will be slow progress and I need to get back to work.  Consultant reckons I should be back in about 10 weeks.  Have actually booked 2 weeks of physio via facilities from my previous career job (fire brigade) in June so hopefully that will speed up the process.

From discussion with other people it sees availability and standard of physio is very much a lottery but at the same time you shouldn't just wait for them.  If you feel strong enough to be doing something then my suggestion is to pester them (politely of course) otherwise you could be waiting a long time.  I wasn't given any suggestions early on but did a few minor foot exercises after researching the internet.

Hope this also helps and good luck and stay positive.  I have felt down several times but when you look around the world at what's going on at the moment we have to realise how lucky we are.

All the best

Chris

• Posted

Thanks for rep!ies ,well I got myself out of the boot when in the house and do loads of stretching exercises, think my best bet is to go private just for couple appointments just so I can be advised on what else to do I've had this injury 19 months now and definatly not going to wait another 4 \6 months just for a appoi tment thanks again
  • Posted

I didnt get any news about having physio intill 7 week checkup (was meant to be 6 week, good old NHS) i was told that day i would be starting the following week. Take care Mary
    • Posted

The last time I saw my consultant was when I had plaster removed and was put into a boot ,was told I would receive pt appointment through post ,wasnt given any more hospital appointments,I think this is a bit weird ,does the doc not want to check on progress after, or is this left to pt
    • Posted

I had my first check up after 4 weeks in the boot then was made to stay in it for a further 2 weeks, which became 3 weeks. I was told I would receive an appointment in the post as well, but never did. I had to call them to make the appointment as it seemed someone wasn’t doing their job.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.