Tramadol dependency whilst pregnant

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been reading all of yr advice and find I it so useful my problem is I have been on tramadol since losing both parents several years ago. For me they helped to get through the greaving process and allowed me to continue raising my son without constantly breaking down. The trouble was I became physically and emotionally dependant on them. They were the first thing I thought about wen I woke up and the last thibg I thought about wen I went to bed. I know that is shameful considering I had my beautiful son. I find myself taking up to 25 a day just to make me feel normal . The problem was I started having having seizures The final straw came wen my young son witnessed this and thought I had diedsad. I promised to get my act together. I have slowly tapered an am now on five a day. The thing is now I have discovered im six weeks pregnant and need to know if anyone else has been pregnant whilst taking them. If so I would really like to know what is safe wen tapering. I will not allow my child to be born dependant on them so what advice can you give me to ensure I taper safely without a risk to my unborn baby. Any guidance would be appreciated x

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

First of all congratulations! And secondly go and get some medical advice on this one. Theres too much at stake. Take care and let us know how you are doing xxx
  • Posted

I would reduce your dose to 4 a day for a week, then reduce by one tablet a week until you are on 2 a day. You can then take one and a half a day for 10 days, then one a day for 10 days. Then take only half a pill every 3 days with a full one on the other days until you feel stable, then drop another half. If you only have the capsules you can open them and pour away half the powder, reseal and take as usual.

Well done in reducing down to 5 a day. If you have done that, you will be strong enough to get off them. Slowly does it. Remember the withdrawals only last around 3 days each time you reduce the dose, so although it's bad, they don't last as long as with some drugs. Good luck!

• Posted

As I have said it is what I would do. IME doctors know naf all about how addictive this drug is. After I got off it I made a point of telling every GP I saw at the practice about how hard it was to get off them, and 4 out of the five just didn't seem at all concerned. It is similar with other drugs. GPs underestimate how hard it is for people to get off certain drugs.
    • Posted

And I agree with you completely about the GPs not telling patients how addictive it is but we should be encouraging her to get medical advice because she is pregnant. I dont know anything about drugs and unborn babies I only know what happened to me and obviously its the same with you. So my advice would be to get medical advice as its difficult enough to do this on your own without the added worry of a baby.
  • Posted

Definitely get medical advice. Then, get another opinion. What we don't know (where the fetus is concerned) is whether it is more important to lessen the effects of withdrawal by gradual reduction, or to get off the drug ASAP. There may be some age threshold (of the fetus) where it becomes more important to be free of the drug than to worry about the effects of withdrawal.
  • Posted

If your down to 5 you need to immediately go to a Dr who knows addiction or to your Ob/Gyn an adk if you can completely stop as of today. Cold turkey stop. You can hurt your baby. What goes in your mouth is going into your baby. I'm a recovering Tramadol addict. Been sober for a yr in 2 days. Was taking 20-25 a day. Got palpitations an skipped heart beat an got scared so went to ER. All caused fr lowering my dosage by couple of pills. I hope you are really down to 5 but its very hard to go fr 25 to 5 . You didn't say how long it took you to get to 5 pills a day. I went 2 days later to detox cold turkey at a facility because it was to dangerous to quit cold turkey at 25 a day an I knew I couldn't taper. To much temptation an really at 25 a day very unlikely you will taper all way off. But you need to stop now. Go see a dr an make sure you know all facts about cold turkey or ask pharmacist . You could vomit alot so you could get dehydrated an thats not good for baby. Stay hydrated. You could get diaherra so get anti-diaherra med. You need to find out what you can take for withdrawal symptoms safely since your preg. It's going to be bad for about 4-5-6 days maybe. But it has to be done. The more you take now the more its getting to the baby. This may be seen as a mean reply but this is serious an your hurting your baby. Please get help now so you can stop asap. God bless

• Posted

You NEED to see a DR ASAP! you may well know the 1st 12 weeks

Are the most important stage, what ever

You do do not stop cold turkey as the stress

On baby will be huge.

They may well put you on a small dose of

Methadone to wean you off tram and then

Wean you off that! Please please see your

GP or your local drug centre.

Take care.

Kate.

• Posted

Really sorry to hear that Hunnie and for your lose can I ask you something did you suffer. Seize s before hunnie 😔

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.