Headache remedies for coming off valium

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'll keep this very brief, for the last 8 days I've been tapering off valium after taking it for 2 months in low doses and whilst I have hand numbness, dizziness, nausea, memory issues etc, the worst thing is the chronic headaches that hit suddenly once a day. I have been taking 1 mg of valium (next to nothing I know) but it stops the headache within 25 mins. 

I am running out of valium and I need to know if it's a good thing to get over the counter meds for headaches/migraines to complete my detox? I never want to take valium again and I wonder if panadeine forte (codeine) might get me thru for the next few weeks. HELP welcome!!!

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hey, took a low dose of valium for 2 months. Never had the headaches but had everything else, numbness (chest and hands), pins and needles, dizziness, memory issues, etc. It's normal after 8 days. I'm 3 months off and started experiencing new symptoms I never had while tapering (brain zaps, hypnik jerks) and still have a major problem with dizziness and pins and needles and tight jaw. Maybe it's just me. 

Anyway, these symptoms usually diminish in intensity after 2-3 weeks. I wouldn't use another drug. Just take care of your self as much as you can. Hang in there mate! 

• Posted

Thanks so much, I've had people telling me I must be imagining the withdrawals as I was on valium for a short time. But it's real and damn horrible. I've been reading about GABA and considering trying that to help with the detox. Have you heard of that?
    • Posted

Hi Maggie, it's Gamma-Aminobutryic Acid - apparently the valium messes up the levels of GABA in our brain. GABA works as a neurotransmitter in the body, helping support the nervous system and brain function. It is found in a lot of food (fruit and vegies, grains, cold water fish) but I discovered you can also buy it in pills or capsules from the health food store or pharmacy. Strangely enough, GABA levels are also increased by alcohol which may explain the link between alcohol withdrawal symptoms being very similar to valium withdrawals. I'm thinking GABA pills may help the repair process for my fried brain!! Would love to hear from anyone who has used GABA.
    • Posted

Wow, no it's definitely not your imagation ! It is extremely horrible. But, this discomfort is not a threat. It is just well uncomfortable. I started doing mindfulness everyday (I do a bodyscan as it is called). I thought it would help do get in touch with all these weird sensations. I find it very helpfull actually. In my case, I am so sensitive right now then even a B12 supplement makes me uncomfortable lol! This is insane. But I guess it will pass. Like anything.

Yes I heard of gaba supplement. But the best is just to let your body reajust itself. In my opinion. Moderate exercise, a good bedtime routine, eat healty, socialize, don't drink alcool. 

• Posted

I have blurry vision, especialy at night. It's weird. But again, not life threatening. 
    • Posted

I had a random good day and today I feel like I am on the mend. Mind you I have thought that before and crashed alarmingly! I'm thinking if I stick to a good diet, avoid stress and just treat the symptoms, I'll get thru this nightmare. Thanks for your help!!!
    • Posted

No prob. Also, don't try to avoid stressful situation. Just try to change your habits, the way you cope with stress. Novelties and challenges are always good for you. 
  • Posted

I've been in that situation and Panadiene Forte did help. Prepare for constipation though, especially if you decide to take it regularly.
    • Posted

Thank you Sophie, I can cope with constipation but not the headaches and blurred vision that goes along with them. It seems valium affects people differently making it such a nasty chemical mix!
  • Posted

Hi Sam

I've been tapering of diazepam as well, I too have good days and bad days.  I thought I'd cracked it with three clean days, but it takes only the slightest thing to trigger my anxiety again and I resort to taking a 5mg pill.  My gp has given me hydroxyzine to help with my anxiety as well as being brilliant for my various allergies and also helps me sleep.  I take every day as it comes, rejoice if I get a day with zero diazepam, try not to beat myself up too much if I relapse.  My gp has said I can maintain a supply of diazepam while tapering but its taking a frustratingly long time.

As far as headaches are concerned, I wouldn't recomend anything with codeine as that is highly addictive too.  I was hooked on it for a couple years but manged to get off it cold turkey last November, which was a horrid experinece.  I think beacuse of my experience of that I'm tapering rather than col;d turkey with the benzo.  I now only take parcetamol for headaches by the way, soemtimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I wish you well in your struggles

Lizzie

• Posted

Hi Lizzie

I've just had two sets of 3 days without diazepam but then I get this weird feeling in my eyes and pains in my head so I take 1/6th (hard to believe I know) of a 5mg tab and it takes away the symptoms. I'm hoping the 3 days will extend to longer lapses in symptoms. I'm also going to try the GABA powder which should arrive today as I only slept 2 hours last night.....sleep dep is a big issue for me which makes working and any normal functions very difficult. I also see my partner getting annoyed about my 'excuses' for the way I am currently operating. I try to be very honest about how I'm feeling but it just seems to be dismissed as BS and that makes me more prone to headaches and anxiety. Anyway, thanks for your feedback and maybe I'll make it to 4 days this round!!

Sam

• Posted

I sincerely hope you do make to to for days and beyond, but don't feel a failure if you relapse a little.  They just don't tell us how powerful this drug is when they put us on it.  I didn't ask to be put on diazepam, but it seemed to my gp to be a reasonable soloution at the time.  I've only ever been prescribed 5mg a day but have occasionally taken more, I'm now cutting the 5mg pills in half, not as good as you yet! and trying to miss the odd day or so

I love this forum as its great to be able to share with people going through similar problems.

Love

Lizzie xxx

• Posted

Hi Lizzie. I was on a benzo for 30years called Alepam.(oxazepam) .Recently I was able to quit in 6weeks using liquid Diazepam. My doc prescribed and monitored every 2 weeks. This way means you can get down to tiny amounts. I was so happy and NO WITHDRAWAL SYMPtOMS. Best wishes to all

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.