Operation getting nearer!

Posted , 2 users are following.

My operation for removal of ovaries and tubes is on the 28th May. Had my assessment today. Been told I will have to stay in overnight as I'm having them removed by keyhole surgery (hopefully). Also been told il have to have a catheter which to be honest has really put me into panic mode now. Worried about anaesthetic, catheter, recovery and what if they decide they can't do it by keyhole? How sore are you after? How long before you felt ok again? I'd be very grateful ladies for any reassurance. Also - really dumb question I know,but when I leave hospital the next day, will I get into my jeans or would you advise to wear something else?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi pami56

I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago by keyhole, I too was afraid just like you, I can tell you I was amazed at how I felt afterwards, the cathader does not hurt 2 bit, and I would say after 2 weeks I was well on to recovery, I advise to wear jog bottoms as ur tummy takes a week or so to get Bak to normal as they put air into ur abdomen, hope that helps and good luck x

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. It's really reassured me. It's weird the stuff that goes through your head before-like what to wear when you leave hospital. I'd imagine you feel and look very bloated. Thanks again
    • Posted

Hi

That's quite all right, it's always good to hear from people who have gone through the same thing, I am the worst when it comes to worryin and pain,so I'm sure you will be fine.

Debs

• Posted

Hi Pami,I had a 5 inch cyst removed by open surgery on 25th March.like you I was absolutely terrified as never had an op before.i went on antidepressants to calm me down,but I can honestly say it wasn't as bad as I thought,but the sheer thought of what they have to do took over my mind.it was an awful time.i know it's easy for someone to say but please try not to worry.i also had a catheter fitted ,you don't even know it's there.really weird.it fills up,however you don't know you've peed.i also thought when they took it out I would feel discomfort but you don't.the nurse came into my room and it's removed within seconds.im 45 years old and had both my ovaries removed as well.they could of removed just one ovary but I chose to let them take them both out ,so to prevent any further cysts growing in the future,and I don't want to experience anything like this again.it means instant menopause now.so far all I've experienced is feeling hotter.it is a bonus not having any periods as I suffered terribly over the years.believe it or not I now wish I had it done years ago.as for pain,in my experienced it was more discomfort than pain as your numb for a few days and the painkillers they give you are amazing.i am the biggest wimp when it comes to pain,however I was really surprised.i coul drive after 10'days but it took me 8 weeks to feel like Ive healed.hope this helps x
    • Posted

Thanks so much. You've made me feel better. Did you have to have injections in your tummy to stop clotting? Nurse told me today that was going to happen-that didn't exactly cheer me up. She said it would only be once. Did you bleed very much after? Thanks again. I've found out much more information here than I did at the hospital
    • Posted

Hi pami,your welcome.i wish I had joined this site before I had my op and heard from other people that have been through the same experience,as it's such a traumatic time.i did have an injection in my tummy to stop any clotting.i wasn't aware that I was going to have it though before the operation.its just a stinging sensation, and it's nowhere near where the stitches are.i had spot bleeding on and off for a couple of weeks after.i believe some women can experience slightly heavier bleeding,however I only had to wear a panty liner.i was given advice to drink plenty of water before  and after the op to help flush things through and keep hydrated.for me it was simple advice yet very effective. The most important thing is to rest up for a few weeks. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.