Back at square one!

Posted , 7 users are following.

So the prescription for my tramadol was renewed and of course I didn't have the self control not to pick it up. So I am back at square one. It's been 20 hours since my last dose and I am feeling sick and sweaty. I am trying to prepare myself for what's to come. I know the depression will be 10x worse this go around because i just experienced a very painful breakup. My boyfriend of 4 years who I thought I was going to marry broke up with me. This is what sent me back to the tramadol. I couldn't take the heartbreak and now I'm dealing with withdrawal and heartbreak. I know what to expect I'm just looking to this board for encouragement and to remind me that there is light and happiness at the end of this tunnel. Please! I really need some encouragement right now.

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Please don't beat yourself up over this. You've had a real knock to the system and decided to accept the prescription. Ease yourself into your new situation. Maybe you could go and see your doctor a couple of weeks before your next tramadol script is due and tell them this. You CAN tapper off this drug. 
  • Posted

There really is life after breakup. Don't judge yourself by thus breakup/him/her. Focus on getting yourself back 
  • Posted

Tramadol, in your case, is being used to deal with emotional pain. It's not the tramadol. A tramadol withdrawal is hell, but it's over in a few days. I'm sorry. Yes, it's best to do a quick taper, but I lost an Rx, do had to endure hell. I hired a nurse to rub my feet, while we talked and talked and talked. It worked. Withdrawal was over. I really think it's the break-up that's the culprit. I know that when I'm upset about something serious, I think of tramadol, but I also think of wine, lots of substances! They help to escape! Like alcohol, they then demand more and more intake. I strongly suggest you take time out to mourn and to grieve. That's where the real pain is. See a shrink, if you can. The tramadol is just another demanding substance to help you escape. Good luck with it. (Also, tramadol is so pleasing, you'll probably think of it often. Think of it like alcohol. Tell yourself you can have some tomorrow. Of course, say that every day, one day at a time. Cravings for substances of used for escape, last seven minutes. They return later, but keep saying that you'll have it tomorrow. I bet when you become happy again and forget the boyfriend, the cravings will go. Don't forget the nurse! It really is a bad withdrawal, but it's short. 💟
  • Posted

I have been told not to take this drug it makes one of my dear friends sick but she has to take something for her pain as she would be bedridden and at 47 not good .but I won't take it no wY but good luck on trying something diffrent may be hunnie 💐
  • Posted

Life does get better Hunnie belive me. It seems hard at first but think of you ,,,,,my dear good luck things will get better for you ,
  • Posted

This is going to be hard I'm afraid. I'm a tramadol addict or my body becamw dependent on the drug. Took it for 7-8 yrs. Normal at first. Prescribed for tibial stress fracture an then fibromyalgia. What I didnt know was how much it was an antidepressant an anti-anxiety. We lost our daughter in 2000. I didnt realize i was depressed I guess. So when started to take it it made me feel happy again an I had energy. Not high. Just happy. It does increase the seratonin an norepinephrine in the brain. In 2011 I started taking more an more till I was at 20-25 a day in May of 2014. I got sick with a virus an backed off the tramadol an started getting skipped heart beat an palpations. Very scary! Never had this before. I thought I had heart problems from to much tramadol!! So had to go to ER an they did every test under the sun but only thing wrong was increased white blood cells frthe virus an very high heart rate an blood pressure. I was experiencing withdrawls!! I'm talkin heart rate of 110 and blood pressure of 150/90. An I was very dehydrated an very low potassium. That effects your heart also. So virus caused me to back off tram which then thru me into withdrawls an I was already dehydrated an low potassium. They gave me a shot of Atavan(anti-anxiety) an it slowed down the heart rate to normal. Two days later I went to a facility in my home town to detox cold turkey off Tramadol. They gave me Klonipine 3 x a day to get thrue it. I never vomited but didnt get much sleep first 2 nights. Klonipine helped. I was sent home after 5 days. with rx of Klonipine then put on Zoloft(anti-depressant). I dont remember much else of detox. My husband thru away rest of my tramadol. An in U.S. now its a controlled substance so illegal to get off internet an have to have a physical appt with a dr. so couldnt get it anymore anyway! Iv been free since May 12 of 2014. Iv pretty much been dealing with depression an anxiety ever since but I also started menopause in Aug of 2014!! That makes you nutso!!So have tried Zoloft then Lexapro now back on Zoloft an fixing to have a scope down throat for a stomach ulcer. I hope I dont have one but makes me think from all the abuse my stomach took if I do have one!! I'm sorry you are heartbroken but I think what you need to do,if you can, is go to your dr an tell him you want to stop Tramadol. The only way to really stop it is to come out an say you don't EVER want to take it again. EVER! an you need help quitting cold turkey. The dr could prescribe a anti-anxiety drug to help with the anxiety an restlessness an help with sleep. Also a anti-vomiting drug for any nausea or vomiting. You can get anti-diaherra med at store. Lots of liquids on hand. you will have sneezing an runny nose. The reason I'm suggesting cold turkey is, theres not many who are strong enough to taper all way off. Something comes up emotionally an you take an extra one. Or you arnt feeling up to par an take an extra one or two. if their available its to tempting. I know you have good intentions an it doesnt make you a bad person to screw up the tapering but Tramadol is evil an its hard to leave the bottle alone. if there is no access to it, then you have no choice but to quite. But when you do an you start getting over the withdrawls, its the best feeling ever! Just make sure you prepare for the cold turkey an talk to your dr first. once you say you never want to take it again its jumping off the cliff. 5-6 of feeling like crap but with some help from other meds is nothing compared to the freedom from tramadol. Don't let the drug dictate toyou. you won't die going thru withdrawls. just start it on a Thurs an maybe take off Mon. Once you can get thrue 3-4 days your home free!! Goodluck an don't be afraid of a tiny white pill. You can kick it's behind!!
    • Posted

Main thing: There is nothing worse than losing a child! You had every right to be unhappy and to grieve. I'm sorry and give you my condolences.

The stupid doctors, in cahoots with Pharma, use stupid words for like "depressed," to sell drugs. They can't exactly sound professional for them to sell anti-sad pills.

THEY ARE MEDICALIZING NORMAL FOR $$$$!

Tramadol is far less addicti've than Klonopin! Also, it was kind of the doctor to give you tramadol. It helped you feel 'happy" in your sad hour.

Klonopin is a benzodiazepine. You said you took 3/day! You didn't say what the mgs of each pill was. It is so powerful, that the highest mg pill is 2.5, and the lowest is .125.That's right 1/4 of one mg. Do you know that benzos are higher on the DEA schedules than tramadol is. Most doctors won't touch them. Klonopin, specifically targets seizures. It's a horse tranquilizer, and gives no happiness. It gives horrible hangovers, made you probably more "depressed."

Back to tramadol. Again it's lower on the DEA schedules than any benzo, including Ativan, which creates extreme dependence.

The reason tramadol made you feel happier is not because of serotonin or norephrine. Tramadol is an opiate derivative!!! Frankly, if your life were going well, you'd hardly notice going off them.

As for the SSRI, SNRI drugs, it's all nonsense with bodily withdrawal that's horrible. It doesn't fit their description of addictive, because one doesn't crave them, but they are, because they're torture to get off, and not because they made you happier.

Lexapro is a dirty drug. You don't need to get an anti-psychotic!!!! You're unhappy for good reason. But you're running from those feelings. And pharma wants you to run!!!!

So! Tramadol is the best of all these drugs. It's truly the safest to quit. (You won't go into seizures, as one can going off benzos.) Quitting tramadol is like quitting alcohol abuse. It's miserable, but it's out of the body very quickly. Baby yourself, pamper yourself, as you withdraw. Get loving support, as people do in AA. But! It's over. People kill themselves and others getting off Zoloft, Paxil, Effexor, etc. (All U.S. school shootings were done by kids on these drugs. All, but Prozac, are banned in many European countries. Their side effects are heinous, and their so-called studies were proved to be bogus, as proved in a class action lawsuitawarded cost GSK $6,250,000.000.00 for suicides, homicides, etc. Enjoy your tramadol. Try to use as little as possible, and, as with alcohol, know it'll take love and support to help you quit. But it can't hurt you. Best of luck. People die upon the death of a child. That will never be medicalized away!

Pharma actually gives 2-4 weeks of grieving a lost child, after that it's a mental illness. Huh???? 2-6 weeks grief is insensitive and inhuman.

• Posted

I've had a few injections of tramadol for pain with gallstones but not a prescription on a regualr basis.

This will be hard.

Try to take one day at a time.

Praying for you

Lots of love

Sarah xxx

• Posted

Guess what! You're gallstones won't do any harm, if you go on a low-fat, almost no-fat diet. I have many, and I have choliocystitis, that's a thick gb lining. I eat mostly raw fruits and vegetables, nuts and quinoa for protein. And no attacks!

Before that doctors were insisting on getting it out of my body. As you probably know, gb attacks are excruciatingLow No more fat than a few nuts one day, a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil another day, a piece of fish once a week. You'll be fine.

• Posted

Youre not just stopping it are you?  Please dont do that.   Make an urgent appointment at your GP so he can advise you how to taper it really slowly.   You say you know what to expect, but no Tramadol for 20 hours when you have been used to a lot sounds like the start of something really horrible.  Get some help. xx 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.