New user of ramipril

Posted , 4 users are following.

HI Everyone

I've been taking ramapril for a week now after side effects caused me to stop amlodipine. Was just wondering when any side effects will kick in, if any. I've been fine so far.

Luvheart

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Luvheart, we can't answer this question as everyone is different.  When did your side effects kick in with Amlodipine - perhaps that can be used as a guide for you?  However, if you have been fine for a week, it sounds good, so stay positive, and good luck. 
  • Posted

In my case I was started on the very lowest dose of Ramipril for the first month. It was in the second month when the dose was raised that the cough started after quite a short time; it got steadily worse and the dr changed me to Losartan. Since then I've had no side effects at all and have had the dose of that reduced to the minimum. 

As a matter of interest what were the side effects you had with amlodipine? i ask as although I don't take this I do believe that it is recommended for anyone over 55 yrs. i was offered it but declined it as I believe you can't eat grapefruit and I can't imagine starting the day without it !!

• Posted

Apart from swollen ankles, which disappeared when the dose was reduced, I developed really painful & stiff muscles. Also increased urination, but only at night. Those symptoms are still with me, but decreasing. I'm guessing that as the side effects took a while to develop, it's going to take a while to leave me.
  • Posted

Hi there,

I have been on ramapril 5mg for 7 months now, I also had to be taken off amlodipine! What a nightmare drug, 10 months on amlodipine and I kept waking up in the night with a dead leg! one morning I woke up with swelling and bruising and my foot was broken! Took months for the side effects to go. Ramipril seems fine, no side effects as yet after 7 months. I think that amlodipine is used for people over 55, or those with very high bloodpressure as mine was, it works quite quickly at reducing the numbers. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.