That was a surprise

Posted , 5 users are following.

That was a surprise Had a phone call asking me to go to Hospital for a per Op tomorrow. And my Op is scheduled for next Thursday.

Don't how much colon is being removed until the day, Maybe all of it.

I was Diagnosed in February this year.

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Maybe you can call the Drs office for a consult to discuss the surgery before the pre op to get a clear understanding of the procedure. Just a thought.

• Posted

Hi thanks for the reply.

I've already had A good discussion with the consultant / surgeon.

It's quit bad in three parts of the colon, I Know what he is going to do,

So I leave it in his hands to do the best for me on the day.  

• Posted

Thank you

Had my Pre Op today, that lasted 2 hours, I'm surprised how Major this op is.

I'm on Enhanced recovery program.

The night before op, I have to inject myself to prevent blood colts, and everyday for 28 days, Take a high energy drink, Then another high energy in the morning of the op

Then Have an enema before the Op.

The Operation will take 2 to3 hours

And have to stay in hospital 5 to 10 days.

They gave me a lot info today, They marked my tummy for the stoma just in case I have to have one, and gave me a stoma kit to have a practice with.

Just have to wait a few days for the op now.

I will let you know how the op goes.

• Posted

17 Days post op.

I was in surgery 4 & half hours, 20 inch of colon removed and my appendix.

I had 4 days in hospital.

Still sore and cant lift much, but all seams to be going well.

I was Diagnosed with Diverticulitis 19 February 2015. Pretty quick. 

• Posted

Hi

I am so glad it is over for you. Do you need to use a bag? That was pretty quick. Did you have all the pockets infected? How did they determine that you needed this surgery?

Vivian

• Posted

Hi

I was Diagnosed with Diverticulitis, After 18 months of being in pain.

As soon as the doctor looked at the CT Scan he offered me surgery.

No I don't need a bag, I just got away with that, thank god.

That was the first thing I did when I woke up after surgery, looked to see if I had a bag.

Hopefully I will have a better life now. x x x

• Posted

That is so good. I am happy for you. Were you working while waiting for the surgery.

Vivian

• Posted

Hi Peter

How are you doing? I have a Surgeon's appt. On July 23 2015. Anyone know what I should be asking. I also have IBS.

Thanks.

Vivian

• Posted

Hi Vivian

Hope you well.

Not to well yesterday and last night, I was in a lot of pain and needed the loo a few times. But feel a lot better this morning.

Sorry I don't know you situation. What's the surgeons appt for?

I have a post op Appt with my Dr 1st July

I will be asking.

Am I Diverticulitis free, I dont think so tho.

Will I have anymore flare ups.

Will I need anymore Ops in the future,

Will I have to use the loo more oftern as I am doing at the moment.

I had 20 inch removed so dose my colon now run down the center of my tummy.

Let me know your situation?

Pete x x

• Posted

Hi Peter

I hope you are feeling better. Basically I always had IBS. 2 years ago I was diagnosed with diverticulosis. I had bouts of severe loose bowels on about 4 occasions where it was thought to be diverticulitis but never actually confirmed as I would be given antibotics. Once by intravenous. Colonoscopy of last year showed the pockets but no infection. I was not having a flare up then. My problem is that this keeps repeating. Loose bowels followed by constipation. Bouncing back from fibre to immodium. It feels like my bowel does not work on its own anymore. The surgeon may want to do a scan. The GP did not want to do one , neither did the Gastroenterologist. Basically I want to know if these episodes are actually diverticulitis. How will it be diagnosed if not having a flare up at the time of the scan?

Vivian

• Posted

Hi Vivian

I'm feeling a little better today thanks.

I can relate to a lot of what your saying about loose bowels,

I was in a similar position,

I had to go to A & E in January with severe abdominal pains they did an X ray and CT Scan and put on antibiotics, I was told CT Scan showed mild Diverticulitis,

But when I saw Mr Bagley the top Consultant a month later he said it was Serious Diverticulitis, And my only option to help me was an oparation.

I was told the CT Scan will show pockets with or with out a flare up.

It's only a colonoscopy that will allow them to see infections and flare ups, and something in the blood levels goes up.

Maybe next time you have a flare up you should go to A & E hopefully they will do a CT Scan like they did for me.

I think I was lucky having the top Dog as my Dr and surgeon.

Hang in hopefully you will get it sorted.

Pete x    

• Posted

Thanks Peter. Thid helos. Hang in there. Get back to me after you see your Surgeon.

Vivian

• Posted

Hi Vivian

Just to let you know

5 weeks post op. Visit to Hospital today to see surgeon,

Everything going very well. He is really pleased, so am I.

I was Diagnosed with Diverticulitis 19 February 2015.  

Had Operation 28th May 2015

I was in surgery 4 & half hours, 20 inch of colon removed and my appendix.

I had 4 days in hospital.

He wants to see me again in 6 months, Just to see how I'm doing.

so I will be leaving this site soon. hope things go well for you.

Pete x x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.