Seborrheic Dermatitis

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello,

My doctor has said I've got Seborrheic Dermatitis and reading up on it seems like it is 100% spot on.

I get it round by my nose on my chin, top of my nose and eyebrows as well as in the ear and behind the ear.

Originally my Dr gave me Mometasone Furoate 0.1% which seemed to help a little but it's very thick.

Another Dr said to stop using it as it thins the skin and gave me Canesten with 1% Hydrocortisone which doesn't seem to help.

Another Dr has now given me Daktarin Cream which so far doesn't seem to make a lot of difference either.

Today I've been at the end of my teather as my nose is extremely sore which is a tad painful.

I've decided to try Germolene tonight as it contains antiseptic I'm hoping this will numb it and help me relax a bit.

I know there is no sure and you can treat it and keeping on top of it will help keep it under control.

Can anyone else recommend anything that might help me?

Thanks

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

My son was diagnosed with this ad the daktarin took over 2 weeks but did clear it, he was getting sore behind his knees and ears also (still is flaring up there) and the only thing I've found to help it is bepanthan nappy ointment, even eczema emollient doesn't stop it flaring up, worth a try!
  • Posted

willas00 and whomever this may concern,

I feel your pain, I was diagnosed a the age of 20, I played football in high school and noticed that I would leave practice and my T-zone ( nose, eye brows, forehead) were always red and itchy. I used normal shampoo and regular lotion to stop the dryness but it always ended up in irritation.

Took me almost 2 years to understand what was happening to me and after a MAJOR flare up I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with SD. It was bitter sweet. I was happy that I finally found out was wrong but upset because there was no "cure" for it. Not sure how many times I refused to go out with friends because I was self conscious.

MY doctor gave me a cream but it didnt help at all, it was too thick and made my face oily, SD went away for a bit but came back as soon as I stopped. I washed my face with salt water every night and useda humidifier but NOTHING seemed to help.

UNTIL...I bought Cortizone 10 Cooling Relief Anti itch gel and applied it as sson as I got out of the shower. Along with that, I started taking cold showers and used an all natural shampoo with no SLS or additives made by the brand JASON. Just with the cortizone cream, cold showers, and natural shampoo, my flare ups have become essentially non existent!!! I already eat pretty healthy so my diet didnt change but my routine did and it helped 100%. I wanted to put this on here because I know how much I struggled and how hellish this can be. Please take the advice and try it out! Cortizone cream is only like $10 and the shampoo is around $12!! thank you for the time.

• Posted

Thank you. it is a pain in the @$$ having to be putting creams on your face and they do not work. Thank for comment.

• Posted

I have been suffering from Seb Derm for around 20 years now & have seen many doctors, dermatologists & tried every lotion & potion I could. I trawled theses forums in the hope I could find a cure.

My seb derm has been almost non exsistant over the last 18 weeks & I have never felt happier when I take that first dreaded look in the mirror in the morning. It used to start my day off on a bad or not so bad note.

Just like Thawes888 I am using Jasön SLS free dandruff relief shampoo, I also wash day & night with a handful of dead see salts (yarden from boots) & when I shower I use yardens natural mineral shower cream (SLS free).

Morning & night after washing I use Aveeno Skin relief cooling menthol moisturiser.  The dry flaky red skin has gone !! The salts leave my skin feeling softer.

As a side note I have also suffer with mouth ulcers for years & have been using Dr Organics SLS free tooth paste for 5 months & had not had  a fraction of the amount of ulcers & those I have had have not lasted a fraction of the time.

all of the seb derm shampoos I have tried contained SLS, if you search SLS products & skin complaints there is ever growing proof there is a link.

i have been left with a few visible red veins from all the steroid creams, dispite being told not to overuse them, you cannot help it when they seem to work.

I guarantee that SLS (Sodium Laurel Sulphate) will be one of the first ingredients in your shampoo, toothpaste, shower gel, hand wash. I am convinced this is a major part of Seb Derm/Eczema. It is use to clean garage floors !!!!

Good luck to you all 

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your struggle! I've had the seb derm rash on my chin, nose and eyebrows for almost 8 months now. I've used all the shampoos and creams/ointments my dermatologist recommended without much luck. After doing some more research I decided to try something new. I've been using it everyday for 3 days and the rash is almost completely gone...Diaper rash cream! Yep, I couldn't believe it, but I'm finally looking pretty normal again! Specifically, I'm using Earth's Best Organic Diaper Relief Ointment. I put it on the spots and let it sit for an hour or two. I am still using nizoral cream twice a day as I was before, but I didn't see the rash start to disappear until i used the diaper rash cream. Hopefully this helps someone. I almost lost hope until this recent discovery. Be well!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.