Low dose surprise withdrawal

Posted , 8 users are following.

i was prescribed diazepam about 10 weeks ago after anxiety build through grief and stress, and have not taken more than 2.5mg per day as I know they can be addictive. I started to withdraw a week ago and cannot believe how awful it is even on such a low dose. 

How long will it take. I am taking 1.25 at present.

thanks

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

You should drop half a tablet every 3/4 days

If you decide to just jump and do cold turkey

The withdrawals should start to get better by

Day 3-5, it may take a little longer for your

Sleep to return to normal and if you suffer

Restless legs that can take a little while

Longer. Good luck

Kate.

• Posted

Thankyou Kate. I have decided to go cold Turkey as I am not feeling good taking them so don't see how weaning is going to  make me feel better. I must "man up"  the information about sleep patterns and restless legs was helpful. I am never taking them again. 
    • Posted

If you get restless legs (i suffer with

Them) put a hot water bottle under

Your calves. It helps and warm baths.

I have heard Hyland restless legs is

Good you can get them from any

Health store. Weaning is hard I've

Been there, i hope you feel better

Soon.

Kate

X

• Posted

STOP TAKING THEM COMPLETLY AND IT WILL TAKE ABOUT A WEEK ON A LOW DOSE LIKE YOURS IF YOU TAPER OF THEM YOU R GOING TO FEEL IT UNTIL THEY R OUT COMPLETELY.IF I WAS YOU STOP AND DONT TAPER AND GET IT OVER AND DONE WITH
    • Posted

Rubbish ..there's no such thing as a low dose where valium is concerned ..it takes no prisoners ..it's vile ..and it takes patience and TIME to withdraw 
    • Posted

I DID IT ON 30MG AND IT TOOK ABOUT 10 DAYS BEFORE I STARTED TO FEEL BETTER SO DONT TELL ME IM TALKING RUBBISH HAVE U EVER WITHDRAWN FROM THEM YOURSELF?
    • Posted

Yes I have many times ..I wanted to die ..never again or I will die ..we are all different 
    • Posted

sorry but this is so unhelpful don't rubbish someones experience because yours was different. Many comments you have made about the withdrawal from this drug have been very frightening. In fact some of them almost stopped me from starting my own withdrawal. Thankfully someone else on here encouraged me and I withdrew from 20-30 mg in 3 weeks and I was fine. Mo you will be fine 
  • Posted

Google the Ashton Protocol...it needs to be done slowly ...it may take you 6 months ..or even longer ...it's a terrible drug to get off
    • Posted

There are times when this site is extremely helpful and other times not so much because people's comments can be very frightening. 2.5 mg is a very low dose and 10 weeks is not a long time. Mo you should not have to spend months withdrawing. Pat I understand that you have had awful problems with diazepam but only 30% suffer from bad withdrawals and I don't think telling people they will feel like death is very helpful. Also your withdrawal should not take longer than the time you have been using the drug. Mo cut down .5 mg every 3/4 days and you should be fine, you may feel some anxiety for 7-10 days after your last dose but it shouldn't be too bad at all. Please don't drag it out longer than you have to. Try not to think too much about it and don't listen to all the horror stories, honestly the anxiety they give you will be worse than the withdrawal. Good luck it will be ok.
    • Posted

Thank you. We are all different and I understand what you mean
  • Posted

Hi mo.i had an easy time quitting a benzo called Alepam or oxazepam. Doctor  gave me liquid diazepam and just substituted mil for mil. 30 years I had been on Alepam.I Just used a syringe, I was so happy. It was like winning lotto.It took 6 weeks.No withdrawal symptoms.In the end I kept forgetting to take last doses.best wishes
  • Posted

The best advise that i can give you is to join a forum BenzoBuddies this is a forum

that i joined. Also CITA which is Council for Information on Tranquillisers, Antidepressants, and Painkillers. They are both UK based . BenzoBuddies have members from all over the world.

You need to get advise from people who know about benzos.

I am almost 2 years benzo free and it can be done. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.