How about this then?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Have just been out for a 1 3/4 kms Whitsun walk - without rollator, without stick!  (For the first time in 3 years)!!! 😎😎 Must admit I had husband's arm though.

Feel very proud of myself.  (I can just hear some of you saying "pride comes before a fall").

5 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Constance, yippee! Well done! You say pride comes before a fall, well I say "the only way is up"! Keep your spirits high and I hope you look upon this as an example that "things can only get better". All the best, christina 
  • Posted

Hi Constance, am over the moon for you.  That's the one thing I miss is having a walk, not power walking but just to be able to go at my own pace.  But my calf muscles start to ache/pull after about 100/200yards.  Hubbies arm or not, you did it, you go girl, at your own pace.  Brill.    Pat
  • Posted

Constance, you so deserve to feel proud - what a morale boost for you.  Enjoy the moment and here's to loads more of them in the future.razz 
  • Posted

Well done Constance, the only way IS up!!!  Stay positive!
  • Posted

Congratulations! Isn't it great to be out and about, being g able talk almost unaided.

I've started Nordic walking (with the poles). I only do half an hour per week at the moment and I'm in a slow group and even then can't keep up, but they wait for me. It really aids my ability to walk.

• Posted

Well done you - with a nice Whitson lunch in the middle I hope?
    • Posted

No, but when we got home.  Rabbit, Knödel and red cabbage.  Great!

Followed by fresh from field strawberries and cream.  What a wonderful life😃😃.

• Posted

Isn't it! Rabbit - I'll be round one day then! OH won't eat it and you can't fool him by saying it's chicken...
    • Posted

You do that!  We'll find something else for OH.  We are surrounded by farms here, so fresh veg, etc. plentiful.  Also asparagus and strawberry fields.

Can't do without carbs, as you do though!  I like Knödel, potatoes, cheescake, crisps and nuts, etc etc.  Especially 'posh mash' (Lewis to Hathaway) - you probably won't understand that Eileen, but the 'real' Brits will.  My 'posh mash' is potatoes, diced red peppers and zuccini fried in butter, sweet corn  - delicious.

Have a great Whitsun.  Glorious weather here - again!

• Posted

Everybody keeps stealing our sun! It is brighter today but still clouds predominate. Dry though for a change!

I love crushed new spuds, the tiny ones that you can scrape by rubbing with your fingers, with butter , black pepper and mint...

• Posted

Hi Constance. Good on you. Very happy to hear your good news. I am sorry for my ignorance but what is posh mash and Whitsun?  I love all the carbs too especially roast potatoes hot and cold. Yummy. 
    • Posted

I suppose posh mash is any mashed potatoes with things added.

Are you from Britain?  They don't celibrate Whitsun over there any more.  They have 'Bank Holidays' instead.

• Posted

Thanks for your quick reply. I am from Queensland, Australia. We don't have bank holidays over here but have public holidays which I think maybe the equivalent to bank holidays. I must do some experimenting with my mashed potatoes. I like them with milk/cream and butter. Why is it that all the foods that are not good for us taste so nice!!!! 
    • Posted

Long ago (when we were small) the UK DID keep Whitsunday as a church festival. That was the origin of most holidays - apart from the 1st May which is a celebration of workers - and kept on the 1st May all over Europe except England where it has become the first Monday in May. And then there is the August holiday which was the first Monday in August until they interfered and moved it to the end of August. 

Whitsun is the "birthday" of the church and is the other name for Pentecost, the seventh Sunday after Easter, when the holy spirit was sent to the disciples in the form of "flames" and them speaking in "tongues". It was switched to the last Monday in May because people couldn't cope with the fact it is related to Easter and is therefore also a moveable feast. 

Once upon a time too the public holidays were bank holidays - not necessarily any more and they aren't holidays either - because all the shops stay open so the other people who ARE on holiday can go and spend money. 

• Posted

Try mash potatoe with mustard powder added in.  Great with a lovely beef dinner.  Mmmmmmmm     Pat
    • Posted

Constance you must try mashed potatoe with mustard powder added in just before you mash.  Great with a lovely beef dish.  It's great that we can talk about other things as well as pmr/gca  Life is good.   Pat
    • Posted

Hi, what about adding olive Oil and crushed garlic, or soured cream, or cream cheese, all fabulous as alternatives when mashing potatoes. Regards, christina 
    • Posted

OMG yes I have olive oil and garlic, can get cream cheese, oh the world is our oyster lol   Thank you
    • Posted

Hi Constance, mine keeps threatening to but never seems to pack his bags! But honestly it's gorgeous especially with a beef stew. Regards, christina 
    • Posted

So would mine - even having a head of garlic on the worktop for me is enough for him to start chuntering!
    • Posted

Ooops - forgot to say, MrsO swears by garlic as an antiinflammatory!
    • Posted

I thought Italians added garlic to everything!!

Question - do you cook mostly Italian or British food?  I cook about half and half.

Rabbit stew today (leftovers).  Are you going to pop in?

• Posted

Forgot to say.  It's RAINING here today.  What a cheek!  Well, I suppose one would say it is 'dribbling'.
    • Posted

But I'm not Italian! 

Neither really - very simple food, no "recipes" as such because we eat such small portions and he won't eat the same thing 2 days running. Plain roast chicken and roast potatoes but no other roasts - waste of time for someone who will only eat cold chicken and no other cold roast meat! Steak, sausages, fish for me, Findus frozen fish in batter for him ;-)  Sometimes do a stew in the slow cooker. If he wants schnitzel we go out!

It probably sounds very boring but we do eat other things when we go out for a meal - our restaurants in the village are very good and make their own food so why would I go to the effort of making the local things I never learned to make? There is so much carb traditional food too so I don't eat it often. But really - home cooking in Italy is simply cooked, good quality ingredients and that is what I do. I think it is fair to say we are more British than Italian about eating. Everyone else here eats at midday, we never eat until about 7.30 - which is too early for real Italians further south.

If only - but you'll have finished by the time I could drive over...

• Posted

Your farmers will be delighted though! What do you expect - it's a Bank Holiday! 
    • Posted

Constance just watched a cooking program and the cook added wasabe to the mashed potato. Yikes!!!
    • Posted

Hi Constance, wasabi is a Japanese cooking paste. It's extremely hot, as in spicy hot. Normally it's purchased in tube form, much like tomato purée. Regards, christina.
    • Posted

Wonderful stuff for taking the top off your mouth! Basically green horseradish - you can get potato crisps (chips) flavoured with it. We had some out one day when David's cousin was visiting - bless him!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.