IBS worst it's ever been, fodmap has not worked any ideas?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Am going slightly mad, ibs syptoms for every meal, in the evening belching for hours so it means i can't sleep.  I don't know what to do anymore.  It seems like eating in general is a problem.  Have been looking at rasp allergy tests, hyrdrogen breath tests - but very expensive.   Done fodmap for two and a half weeks, no improvement.  Now I am thinking of doing no dairy for a couple of weeks and then maybe low sugar.  Anybody got any ideas?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Not sure. I had gallstones and have recently had my gallbladder removed.

Initially before i was diagnosed with gallstones one GP thought it was either gallstones or IBS so the symtoms are obviously similar.

I did not get belching but a lot of pain after eating. I was on lo fat diet.

Maybe it would be worth having an ultrasound scan to see if this is gallstones. If so atleast you know what the problem is.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah xxx

• Posted

Hey,

I am a fellow IBS sufferer & have suffered over the past 3 years now. Have tried various different diets & also have excluded dairy from my diet. Unfortunately, I think stress may be my biggest trigger!

Over the last few months I've been drinking Aloe Gel daily & it has helped me massively! Really helped with my energy levels too, as not sure about you but I was always feeling exhausted!!

Let me know if you'd like more info 😊

Take care, S x

• Posted

Hi there I have had IBS, one of the many issues I tend to suffer that goes along with my fibromyalgia.I have suffered IBS for 16 yrs, for I have tried eveything, I have had gallbladder removal 10 yrs ago, still the IBS continues, the kind that the pain is so severe it doubles you over in excruiating pain, than the vomiting.After alot of diets and trials, I discovered that eating any kind of red meat was my worse offender, as it is difficult to isolate what foods attack you, I make a ritual of taking an anti-gas pill before I eat anything, and I stay away from all take care foods, fast foods ect.And number one ...Stress is also a killer....hope you eventually what will work for you....
  • Posted

if you have been doing fodmap then you shouldnt have been eating dairy anyway, so have you been doing it right? where did you get your info from?

what are your symptoms? belching is not really IBS its more of a stomach problem, have you seen a doctor about excess acid or h.pylori infection?

• Posted

HI

am on FODMAP diet for restless legs syndrome (RLS)

First you mention gewtting of lactose.   On a FODMAP diet you shoul;dnt be eating lactose at all.   I can tolerate one cup of coffee with normal milk per day.    It make it easier if I am out and about.

Secondly I was on the FODMAP diet for about 8 weeks before it started to really help.   I think it was probably because I was a bit careless and didn't realise that when the diet said NO it meant NO.    I found that I was still a bit sensitive to some things that are on the diet.   Too much sugar.   I have always loved merangues but I pig out on them when I allow myself the pleasure so I have had to ban them.  Of course anyone would say they were unhealthy anyway.   Bananas were also a problem for me but that was because I thought thye were 100% safe.  SDo what I did was say I don''t have time for all this FODMAP stuff I'll just eat bananas and rice cakses.   Didn't work too well.   Then I made time to see a dietician who was generally little help but did laugh at my easy diet and suggest that I work harder to give variety and also so I could get enough food with just a bit of this and a bit of that.   Bacon and eggs, steak, potatoes rice cakes with very carefully selected jam. etc.   Most jams in Australia use apples and/or pears as cheap fillers and there is enough there to up set you.   There are severkl brands of bread but I have to limit myself to 4 slices per day and only 2 slices per meal.

So my message is to be really strict FODMAQP and increase the variety of FODMAP friendly foods that you eat so small quantities of each food.

Incidently don't be afraid of visiting another doctor for a second opinion.   Many doctors shove avery patient into the most convient box and then deliver the standard treatment and collect their pay.    There are plenty of good doctors out there but there are also some shockers!

Keep trying and IO wish you luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.