Weight gain on Amitryptaline

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been on this for 10 days after swapping from Sertraline. I watch my weight closely and am just about keeping at target weight, but I can literally feel myself ballooning on this. It seems far too soon  to be gaining weight, but there's no other reason for this. Has anybody else experienced rapid weight gain so quickly after starting? Also really struggling with pain again, and feeling really low - hadn't realised how effective the Sertraline was! I wasn't sleeping with that though, but am now I'm on ami - but everything else so far is a definite negative 😟

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Been on it for a year and I've put on weight taking it 30-40 mg per night massive craving for chocolate it works well for me sleeping before I was not getting any at all some people put on weight others don't as we are all different but it's a pain still get hangovers the next morning too but wears off in a few hours
  • Posted

Feeling increasing bad and I'm only on 10mg. Having awful dreams, dizzy spells, constant tiredness, feeling really low and my pain is terrible again. Going to GP tomorrow and hoping to swap back to adertraline which at least lifted my mood and gabapentin for pain. Just hope I don't get withdrawal from Ami now!
    • Posted

Sorry it's not working well I'm stil having nightmares every night the pain goes and I sleep well comes back in the morning when it wears off
  • Posted

Hi

there are lots and lots of threads and posts on here about amitriptyline and weight gain and sleepiness. Very common. Personally I put on 2. Stone in two months and over the remaining 6 months I was on it I put on over another stone. Prior to that my weight had been static. Certainly no reason at all except meds for the initial two stone foodwise, plus was very active. My diet very healthy.Side effects from amitriptyline led me to reduce activity over following months so that would not have helped the remaining weight gain but also it really got to me so a few strays from my standard diet took place too. Mind some have said that was also side effect..sweet cravings. My weight gain stopped when stopped the meds. Ref sleepiness..I already had an issue on gabapentin for previous 18 months...falling asleep without warning and at most inappropriate times and sleeping for 14 hours straight..but when amitriptyline was added I was constantly nodding all day and once even spent roughly a week sat in chair without moving and nodding and waking just long enough to realise needed to move (or clean myself up..eew) but going straight back to sleep within minutes. That was rare and amazingly excessive but still nodding constantly became the norm and permanently tired. It was on top of the gabapentin though. I would be very wary.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.